Destroying the "No Sporting Purpose" myth

After applying for the last 5 years, I was finally drawn for a bear hunting permit. I plan on using my Saiga. The camp I will be hunting has a high success rate on black bear. I have also learned that I am the only one who hunts there that was drawn for the first season this year.

My odds for getting a bear are pretty good. I really want to use the Saiga, if for no other reason than to tweak the nipples of those who moan about them having "no sporting purpose".

I need some help choosing an optics mount. I am interested in something that will place the scope directly above the bore rather than offsetting it. I will be hunting in a thick swampy area and shots will likely be no farther than 60 yards. I want to look at getting a low power scope to put on the rifle. Any suggestions on ring heights will also be appreciated.

Links to your suggested products will be most appreciated. And yes, I will post pics if I am successful. Here is a link to some pictures from some prior hunts Bear Camp.

Thanks guys.

Well, lumpy... your BEST BET is the standard mount. I am not sure why the reticence to have one, thats not centered over the bore... most scopes will sight in just fine with a standard mount.

I would recommend one of eastwaves ( or maybe check out www.classicarms.us, I hear they have the same ones as eastwave for $29.00!!!)

Pick a DECENT scope in the $75.00-$120.00 range, and you should be all set.

I have used the inexpensive BSA's and honestly, so far I have had EXCELLENT LUCK with the Barska optics. Also, ponder the use of a good quality red dot? That will give you VERY quick target aquisition...

If you are only going to be shooting out to 60 yards... those should give you a winning combination for an inexpensive price.

Still... the more I think about it, though....

Honestly... why mount an optic at all??? for 60 yard shots, you should be able to hit a bear in the EYEBALL with the IRONS off a Saiga at that range!! I presume you will be using a .308? I was shooting 2 inch groups with wolf ammo and the irons off my .308 at 100M.... They are good shooting rifles...

I think you would have just as good of luck with the irons as with an optic.

BUT... thats your deal, and you know your shooting skills better than anyone else... If an optic you need... by all means... grab a scope and mount that baby!! :)

Good luck!

:smoke:

Edited by IndyArms

Thanks for the input. I have to admit that I have never used one of the standard mounts so I have no experience with a scope that isn't centered over the bore.

I will have to check out the classicarms link. 29 bucks for a mount sounds pretty good.

One of the reasons I was thinking about the scope was so that I could squeeze in an extra couple minutes of hunting due to a scopes light gathering capabilities. The idea of a red dot is very interesting as well though. Will one of these fit a standard mount? One thing for sure, the red dot would really be nice if I use this rifle for deer hunting as well. I wonder how good the battaries would hold up in cold weather.

Thanks for the input.

I would go with the red dot if I was you. I have a cheap BSA RD40 red dot on my .308 Saiga, and it works great. Even out to 100yrds you should be able to shoot paper plate sive targets. The only thing it is a pain to sight in, but once that is done you're good to go.

I went with a high "see thru" mount, so even if your red dot dies you still have the iron sights.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=205283

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=148293

This is the set up I'm using on mine.  I can use the iron,  though the mount does put the sight about 4" above my bore it's centered on the bore

First off I just picked up one of those red dots and I havent been able to try it out. Can you tell me how well it works? Is it holding up well?

Second I have one of those mounts if anyone wants to buy it $35 plus shipping let me know. Oh yeah its brand new only slipped on gun once to see what it looked like.

Call a company named ANS, Inc in Salt Lake City. Tel is 1 800 651-2345. They sell a side mount for AK's and Saigas that will mount you optic scope over the center of the bore. About 50 bucks. They also sell the Kobra red dot scopes that seem to give good service. About 200 bucks. Shipping is prompt.

The russian made in belarus weaver mounts do center. I have the low one which still requires a pad added to the stock(foam and electrical tape) to get a cheek weld. The standard russian offside scopes are quite high, and do not come naturally to my eye if I quickly shoulder the rifle. Optics are excellent for the price. The Kobra red dot does center and kicks butt. They are hard to beat for quickpickup of targets, and they are a military scope, so they are tough. Good hunting.