M1 Thompson - Who makes a good repro SBR?

So, a long-time NFA dealer in my area passed his business on to a successor more than a year ago, but still has a large amount of stuff laying around that he collected over the course of ~25 years as a dealer.

I recently purchased a bunch of Thompson stuff from him, because the price was right, and now I have a boatload of Thompson stuff and nothing to do with it. Most of it is M1 Thompson stuff, but there are a few 1928A1 parts (a lend-lease buttstock with distinctive British repairs, a couple of barrels).

Playing with all this Thompson stuff, especially the complete M1 lower, has made me really want one. I like the feel and aesthetics of the M1 Thompson the most of all the models I've seen, but am nowhere near able to afford a registered MG. So, I'm stuck looking for a Thompson SBR. I understand that they won't be cheap, but I'd like to get one for as little as possible, cheap bastard and all that - used would be fine if somebody knows of one for sale, but I'm probably stuck looking for a manufacturer who makes an accurate reproduction.

If the repro furniture isn't perfect, that's fine - I have lots of original furniture. I don't give a rat's ass about mags - already have more original mags than needed. If the barrels suck, that's fine - even if they're decent barrels I'll probably replace it with an original, just because I feel like it. As long as the receiver looks good, the bolt handle looks good (guessing it probably won't take an original part since the whole bolt and FCG will be redesigned for closed-bolt operation), and anything that's aesthetically inaccurate can be corrected with original parts, I'll be good to go.

It'd be preferable if it's full-auto marked and has a dummy selector - if not, bummer but I can probably live with it.

A few questions come to mind:

Constructive possession - What parts do I need to get rid of before taking possession of a semi-auto Thompson? Right now the only full-auto parts I own are in the complete M1 lower. I do not have any bolts or bolt parts. No interest in building an illegal weapon or even looking vaguely like I might. If I need to sell the lower to take possession of a semi-auto Thompson, no problem.

What the heck are Thompson magazines worth? I bought dozens of them, and only usually keep ten or twenty mags per weapon. Could I potentially sell all of my extra mags to finance the SBR? :devil: Many are blued, 30-round magazines marked THE SEYMOUR PRODUCTS CO, although I do have a lot with other manufacturer markings or none at all, some parkerized mags that I've been told are Korean War era, and even a few original Colt 21A 20-round magazines. No drums though, all stick mags.

This isn't intended as an advertisement, I'm really just looking for knowledge about Thompson SBRs - but I would like to get rid of some of this stuff. If anybody knows of a good community for Thompson knowledge, I'd love to know.

Thanks!

-Shandlanos

Thanks! Hope their MSRP is just that crazy so that dealers with insanely high margins can get away with it - like S&W.

Boy do they want a premium for NFA goodies!

M1 w/ 16.5" barrel - $1334

M1 w/ 10.5" barrel - $1970

Subtract 6 inches, add $636? Phew! I wonder if they'd sell me an otherwise complete Title 1 Thompson without a barrel so that I can Form 1 it and add my own barrel...

Thanks again for the link - gives me a very good place to look.

I might be up for some trading, depending on how many lowers you have, But I think I'm out of bolts too. So without those the trade would be a waste of time, at the moment.

I only have one lower, and it is a complete M1 Thompson lower, with pistol grip and stock. I do not have any bolts at the moment, but the gentleman I bought this stuff from has some, so I could pick one or more up for the sake of a trade.

• 2 weeks later...

have you ever handled or used a thompson?

I got to play with 3 real transferables over 100K worth of history. The stocks can rattle, slide back and forth a little. (this may have been from age). The gun weighs a TON you wouldent expect the weight of it. I was rather unimpressed with the much hyped tommygun.

I'd rather have a Kriss super V, HK UMP, or even a .45 AR conversion. These guns are less than half the weight and ready for all modern optics.

Edited by mike123456

I've handled plenty of registered Thompsons. They have their drawbacks, sure - but they're a submachine gun design that's almost 100 years old, it's sort of reasonable to expect things were still being figured out. I find them aesthetically and ergonomically pleasing. I'm not trying to obtain a Thompson SBR to defend myself or my home - it'll be a fun member of the collection sitting in the safe, and occasionally I'll take it out to the range with a shit-eating grin on my face.

• 1 month later...

What the heck are Thompson magazines worth? I bought dozens of them, and only usually keep ten or twenty mags per weapon. Could I potentially sell all of my extra mags to finance the SBR?

-Shandlanos

If memory serves (last time I looked into them was 2-3 years ago) Auto Ordnance wants about $60 for their 30 round stick mags. I think Cheaper Than Dirt has some used GI's for around $20. Important bit of info I picked up about a week ago- original Thompson mags don't fit the reproduction magazine catches without some work. However, you may be sitting on some very valuable magazines. While doing some research for my busted M1, I came across a really good sight: The Machine Gun Boards These guys are kind of purists, though. I think most of them will tell you that a 'real' tommy gun hasn't come out since Korea. A real 'roaring twenties' crowd, but very knowledgeable. I realize this thread has been inactive for awhile, so I'm sorry to add my input if you've already found what you were after.