Form 1 help

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before but ive searched and searched and can not find an answer so if you will please bare with me for a minute here

I am looking to SBR a Draco Pistol.

On question:

4f OVERALL: Do I need to put the over all length of the Draco or measure the stock and the draco for an OAL? how did you measure yours? obviously with a tape measure but did you measure individual parts and add them together or did you place the firearm/stock in a mockup position and measure from there?

Also, should the answers on the forms be typed or hand written?

any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

AZG

Edited by AZG

Overall length is obtained from the tip of the barrel to the end of the stock when fully opened and expanded.

The best way to do this is to measure the stock, then measure the pistol and then add them up. You don't want to put the stock on the pistol without having the form 1 back approved, otherwise that would be building an illegal SBR.

Handwritten is fine. I prefer to type mine. You can get them in PDF format online, fill out what you need, then print them. Much easier and cleaner that way, IMVHO.

Google 5320.1 and you'll get the forms in pdf format.

• Like 1

You can type the form, or neatly handwrite it in ink. Your choice. I prefer typed, it is easier to read, but have done them both ways.

As to the OAL, I always measure it with the stock extended. I add the length of the gun and stock and put that for OAL. It isn't supercritical, you can measure with the stock folded, and you can always swap stocks or add recoil pads or otherwise mess with the OAL after it is made and it isn't a problem. The measurements don't matter so much as the serial number matching the actual gun, and whether or not the gun is registered at all. You will not be hassled about minor differences between the actual measurements and what you put on the form.

• Like 1

OOOPS, I lied. TWO more questions if anyone sees this,

for question 4a. Name and Location of Original Maufacturer:

im not exactly sure what to put. On the receiver it says:

ROMARM/CUGIR

ROMANIA

CAI GEORGIA, VT

Should I include all of this?

And when stating the OAL, Is 32 7/8 acceptable or must it be in decimal form 32.875?

Thanks again!

AZG

Edited by AZG

ROMARM/CUGIR

ROMANIA

CAI GEORGIA, VT

And when stating the OAL, Is 32 7/8 acceptable or must it be in decimal form 32.875?

Thanks again!

AZG

I would include all that information in the "Original Manufacturer" area if it will fit. If not, use the Romanian stuff for the original MFG and the importer information in the "other identifiable markings" area.

I would use the decimal form of the OAL. It's cleaner that way.

• Like 1

ROMARM/CUGIR

ROMANIA

CAI GEORGIA, VT

Thanks again!

AZG

I would include all that information in the "Original Manufacturer" area if it will fit. If not, use the Romanian stuff for the original MFG and the importer information in the "other identifiable markings" area.

I would use the decimal form of the OAL. It's cleaner that way.

Thanks again rjrivero!!!

For what it's worth, I was told by Tony to put the importer info in that area (4a) on the form 1 for a Saiga 12 SBS.

Thanks brother! It's actually quite invaluable to have so many awesome people help me out. This forum is awesome. I've got almost all my ducks in a row. Just have a few more questions.

I noticed that on my fingerprint card, it's blank where it says reason for being finger printed. Should this be filled in? If so with what?

Also am unsure About how to submit the forms to the police chief for approval? do I just walk into the station and ask for the CLEO?

And where do I send the mo and paperwork after? Is there an address I don't know about?

Thanks again

Greg

Also am unsure About how to submit the forms to the police chief for approval? do I just walk into the station and ask for the CLEO?

You should be able to call your local Sheriff's office and talk to them about signing the paperwork and getting printed. I called mine and was told I would be in and out in around 15 minutes, including being fingerprinted (they supply the print cards) and having my form 1 signed.

You should be able to call your local Sheriff's office and talk to them about signing the paperwork and getting printed. I called mine and was told I would be in and out in around 15 minutes, including being fingerprinted (they supply the print cards) and having my form 1 signed.

:homer: D'OH! I could have had them both done at once. owell, now I know. Thanks again

Ok so, I contacted my local police dept. and they connected me to the CLEO and he told me to put the documents(form1s) in a manila envelope and give them to records with attn to him. Is this normal?

Shoot, I wouldn't know. My CLEO won't sign them AT ALL, so if he wants it in a manila envelope, then put it in a manila envelope. Then call every day to see when you can pick it up again. :lolol:

Ok so, I contacted my local police dept. and they connected me to the CLEO and he told me to put the documents(form1s) in a manila envelope and give them to records with attn to him. Is this normal?

Shoot, I wouldn't know. My CLEO won't sign them AT ALL, so if he wants it in a manila envelope, then put it in a manila envelope. Then call every day to see when you can pick it up again. :lolol:

Thats what I was gonna do. I was just curious. I guess its a good sign that he said to do it. He could have just laughed at me and hung up.

Normal for me. Receptionist will run a background on applicant or look for ccw info. Once that is gtg then the forms go to CLEO for signature. The receptionist makes copies for their records and then calls to inform me that my papers are waiting at the front window. Depends on CLEO's schedule but normally same day service here.

• Like 1

Normal for me. Receptionist will run a background on applicant or look for ccw info. Once that is gtg then the forms go to CLEO for signature. The receptionist makes copies for their records and then calls to inform me that my papers are waiting at the front window. Depends on CLEO's schedule but normally same day service here.

Sweet, Thanks for the info. Now I just need to figure out where to send the form 1 after that. Ive been looking around on here and I cant seem to find an address to send to the Forms to. Would you happen to know?

Thanks again for your time.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I just got my Form 1s back from the CLEO this morning.

Just going over the Check list.

2-Form 1s w/PassPort Photos signed by the CLEO

1-Cert. of Compliance

2-Print Cards

$200 usps money order to the Department of Justice

And its to be mailed to:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

National Firearms Act Branch

244 Needy Road

Martinsburg, West Virginia 25405

Sound Good? Am I missing anything?

Any recommendations on how to mail them. Obviously dont fold them. right?

Can I just put the forms in a priority flat rate envelope?

Edited by AZG

Looks good as long as your F1s are front and back (NOT one sided). I usually put them in a manila envelope and send them with delivery confirmation so I have a record as to when they shipped. Also, the extra $1.50 to know it got there okay is worth the piece of mind to me.

The F1 is going to come back in a letter sized envelope. So, eventually it will be folded in thirds. Its up to you if you want to do it first.

• Like 1

Looks good as long as your F1s are front and back (NOT one sided). I usually put them in a manila envelope and send them with delivery confirmation so I have a record as to when they shipped. Also, the extra $1.50 to know it got there okay is worth the piece of mind to me.

The F1 is going to come back in a letter sized envelope. So, eventually it will be folded in thirds. Its up to you if you want to do it first.

As always your replys are always appreciated. T

Thanks

Sunnybean

Glad I could help. Oh, and you won't want to fold the print cards.

The next step will be to learn some mindfulness exercises to help pass time for the next 4-6 months...breathing, yoga, meditation, etc. :lolol:

Glad I could help. Oh, and you won't want to fold the print cards.

The next step will be to learn some mindfulness exercises to help pass time for the next 4-6 months...breathing, yoga, meditation, etc. :lolol:

Im gonna take my Draco shooting w/couple of friends being it'll probably be the last time they'll handle it....until I get another Draco that is. And my job is so stressful it's makes the weeks fly by so hopefully the 3-4 month wait won't seem too long.

It is my understanding that other people can shoot and handle your NFA weapon, as long as you are present. No?

I would like to hope so. I just remeber reading that if its and "individual" the NFA weapon must remain in your possessition at all times.

Trusts on the other hand can be handled by more than one as long as its an officer or something of the trust.

These arent facts, just hear say, Id just rather be safe than sorry.

The example I was reading was someone was talking about if your house is burning and your wife saves your NFA Individual weapon, you might be in trouble with the sheriff when you explain how it was removed from the house or something to that nature.

Im really not sure

The example I was reading was someone was talking about if your house is burning and your wife saves your NFA Individual weapon, you might be in trouble with the sheriff when you explain how it was removed from the house or something to that nature.

Yup. So don't explain it that way. :angel:

The problem is "constructive possession" . Here's what looks like a decent explanation with a link to another discussion.

What it boils down to is that if you want more than one person to be able to be able to take the gun out by themselves you need it held by trust or a business of some sort.

BTW, the guy at the second link is the lawyer who posted early notice about the ATF Saiga study. I paid the guy at the first link to write the trust for me.

Well damnit, now I'm stuck in the same confusion as before. Think I'll just handle it and that's it. Just to be on the safe side. Afterall, I'm dumping all the funds into it. It'll be my personal gun. My friends will just have to settle for saigas which in it's own right is awesome enough.

IANAL, but I've never seen anyone argue that they can't legally shoot it as long as you are present. You simply can't lend it to them to take to the range by themselves. The major perceived risk that legal types bring up is having a family member get charged, or you getting charged because a family member has access to the weapon.