suppressors

After seeing how simple it was to get my sbr I now want to get a suppressor.

I was thinking of getting a .22 but that means adding another rifle/handgun. For now I thought id stay with what I already have.

X39 sbr

S308

FAL

.45 & 9mm S&W m&p

The krink already has a threaded barrel. And drop in barrels can be found for the M&Ps. The rest would need to be threaded.

So the krink is the easiest. But how about ammo for it?

Do I need to buy some fancy shmancy ammo that's almost impossible to find? Or is it fairly common?

Can I reload for it? What happens if I use regular ammo?

Can a suppressor for 7.62x39 work with 308?

What cal suppresdor is cheaper? It is it about the same?

Prolly have more questions later

Thanks

After seeing how simple it was to get my sbr I now want to get a suppressor.

I was thinking of getting a .22 but that means adding another rifle/handgun. For now I thought id stay with what I already have.

X39 sbr

S308

FAL

.45 & 9mm S&W m&p

The krink already has a threaded barrel. And drop in barrels can be found for the M&Ps. The rest would need to be threaded.

So the krink is the easiest. But how about ammo for it?

It'll be supersonic, so you'll still have the "crack." Might be able to find subsonic loads, very unlikely they'll cycle your weapon.

Do I need to buy some fancy shmancy ammo that's almost impossible to find? Or is it fairly common?

In 9mm, just about any factory 147-grain load will be subsonic unless it's +p+ - Alabama Special K is good ammunition. In 30 caliber intermediate or full-power cartridges, you're pretty much stuck with factory supersonic rounds.

Can I reload for it? What happens if I use regular ammo?

Most suppressor manufacturers will not warranty a can used with reloaded ammunition - stick with factory loads.

Can a suppressor for 7.62x39 work with 308?

If you buy a suppressor rated for .308, it should be fine for 7.62x39 - there is a difference in diameter of .003 inches between the two bullets. Consult the manufacturer of your suppressor first.

What cal suppresdor is cheaper? It is it about the same?

As a general rule, rimfire suppressors are the cheapest, followed by centerfire pistol suppressors, followed by rifle caliber suppressors. A can in 9mm or .40 will be the same price or nearly so.

Prolly have more questions later

Thanks

Edited by Shandlanos

So with rifle calibers, using factory ammo, it will still have the crack but wont be anywhere near as loud?

Having never heard a suppressor I don't know how much louder the boom is over the crack! For me, its all rolled into one big BOOM

So with rifle calibers, using factory ammo, it will still have the crack but wont be anywhere near as loud?

Having never heard a suppressor I don't know how much louder the boom is over the crack! For me, its all rolled into one big BOOM

• Like 1

Wow big difference! Thanks! Looks like your better of with subsonic. And it looks like you'd get your money worth using subsonic with a bolt gun. Seems like factory ammo almost defeats the purpose.

As 22LR goes. Never had one nor shot one. What's its capabilities?

• Like 1

Real life suppressors definitely don't work like they show them in movies and video games. With regular old 7.62x39 mm ammo, a suppressor will make your weapon "hearing-safe", brining it down from about 160 decibels to 130 or so. Still pretty loud. Also, if you ever decided to ambush some zombies from concealment, it would make it harder for them to tell where the shots are coming from.

As far as pistols, since it relies on bullet size and mass more than velocity, .45 ACP is a great round to suppress.

Suppressed 22 LR is pretty damn quiet. Heavy subsonic loads are fairly cheap, abundant and cycle well in a Ruger 10/22.

I will tell you what I did and why:

I bought a Yankee Hill Machine Suppressor in 7.62mm.

Now why, I'm not rich. I bought it because you can shot this suppressor off of a AK any type, FN-Fal, G-3, M-14 and any AR platform. How it uses a universal thread, all you need is a different muzzle attachment and it fits all these platforms.

Now like myself you can use same suppressor for all 7.62's and maybe future 5.56's.

Now if you want one for 9mm that works with almost 75% of 9mm try GemTech, basicly same deal for 9mm.

Well hope that helps.

Real life suppressors definitely don't work like they show them in movies and video games. With regular old 7.62x39 mm ammo, a suppressor will make your weapon "hearing-safe", brining it down from about 160 decibels to 130 or so. Still pretty loud. Also, if you ever decided to ambush some zombies from concealment, it would make it harder for them to tell where the shots are coming from.

As far as pistols, since it relies on bullet size and mass more than velocity, .45 ACP is a great round to suppress.

Suppressed 22 LR is pretty damn quiet. Heavy subsonic loads are fairly cheap, abundant and cycle well in a Ruger 10/22.

.45's have traditionally been VERY hard to suppress well. The large diameter for the bullet allows a LOT of gas to follow the round. Subsonic (147gr or heavier) 9mm is MUCH quieter in comparison.

Infact, until the latest generation of suppressors from Silencerco and AAC came out, there were no .45 suppressors that were TRULY "hearing safe."

The new(er) Osprey .45 and the TiRant do a fantastic job of suppressing .45. They are indeed head and shoulders above the previous offerings for this round.

RELOADING:

While shandlos is technically right, no firearms manufacturer warranties their guns with re-loaded ammo either. I don't know if that will influence your decision, but take it for what it's worth.

Edited by rjrivero

I know there are numerous quality brands that are favored by various folks.

I would contact Will @ Red Jacket to discuss suppressors - that was/is a significant % of his business.

Not sure how quick his responses are due to more filming (last I heard).

Agree with the common use across platforms comment. I planned to asked him about using his "generic" muzzle device which has threads already on it to fit his suppressors on multiple weapons/calibers. [he's not the only one who does it]

Cheers,

Harv

Thanks fellas.

Been looking on youtube at videos of suppressed 22, 9, 45, x39. Seems that the problem with youtube is the quality of the camera and its placement in the video. One guy was shooting an AK with regular loads and says its about the same as a 22 but what I hear on my end sounds about the same as an un-suppressed AK. But then you see that he's shooting from a bench at a range with a concrete wall on his right and some sort of roof above him. All that creates an echo and makes it sound no different then a regular AK.

.22, clearly a difference. Some of the 9 and 45s sound same suppressed or not. Some dont. Gotta find some one who has one to see in person

Edited by Arik

I have (2) .22 suppressors, (2) 9mm suppressors and (1) .45acp suppressor and I run them on everything from my Sig P226 9mm, AR15 sbr converted to 9mm, AR15 sbr converted to .22lr, a Walther P22 .22cal pistol, and my M10/.45acp machinegun. I can tell you all of my suppressors are COMPLETELY hearing safe...so much so I encourage the use for teaching because you dont have to yell directions to your trainee and it reduces the flinch factor that some may have from shooting larger calibers. My 8 year old, wife and heck...even my mother fires with them and enjoys it MUCH MORE then unsuppressed.

IMHO I'd go for a .22 caliber suppressor first just for the giggle factor...my SWR Spectre is SOOOOO damn quiet I laugh evertime I shoot it.

Respectfully,

MCASSgt New RIver

Im assuming that suppressors arnt rifled. So would a. 45 fit andwork with a 9?

As for. 22. Are they good for anything besides plinking/small game. What about the 22magnum

Edited by Arik

As for. 22. Are they good for anything besides plinking/small game. What about the 22magnum

Check with the manufacture. You can shoot a smaller caliber through a suppressor designed for a larger one, but for optimum performance its best to use a suppressor designed for that caliber.

RE USING SAME SUPPRESSOR W/ VARIOUS CALIBERS: I'm too ignorant and lazy to look them all up and explain why but I will say that I'm buying the following...

.223 Can: for .223, .22LR and 5.45 (but mostly just subsonic .22LR)

7.62 Can: for 7.62x39, .308, and 30-06 (but mostly just subsonic 7.62)

RE USING SAME SUPPRESSOR W/ VARIOUS CALIBERS: I'm too ignorant and lazy to look them all up and explain why but I will say that I'm buying the following...

Realize that most .223/5.56 cans are sealed, meaning they aren't designed to be user serviceable. .22 is FILTY ammo, and can really foul up a suppressor. If you are going to use a .223/5.56 supperssor with .22LR, I would highly suggest you narrow your choice to one that can be easily taken apart for cleaning.

Alternatively, you could get a .223/5.56 suppressor that is entirely made of stainless steel and soak the suppressor in vinegar/H202 solution to dissolve the lead build up in the can. However, the left over solution is haz mat stuff that needs to be disposed of properly. It will have dissolved lead in it.

• Like 1

Check with the manufacture. You can shoot a smaller caliber through a suppressor designed for a larger one, but for optimum performance its best to use a suppressor designed for that caliber.

If you're talking about a suppressor for a pistol, they will use a "Nielson" device to allow the barrel of the pistol to unlock without having to fight the weight of the suppressor. It is essentially a spring loaded de-coupling device. It's these devices that thread to the barrel and almost all of them have differnt "pistons" that are interchangeable for different thread patterns for any given pistol.

Shooting sub calibers in a .45 Suppressor will generally be louder than one designed for that specific caliber, but best bang for the buck, it may be worth getting the .45 suppressor if you do plan on shooting multiple hosts.

In my opnion, having one can on multiple hosts is not much fun. I have a Trident-9 with mounts for my AR 9mm and my Glock. But it's not much fun doing transition drills/exercises that way. Swapping back and forth gets old fast.

Realize that most .223/5.56 cans are sealed, meaning they aren't designed to be user serviceable. .22 is FILTY ammo, and can really foul up a suppressor. If you are going to use a .223/5.56 supperssor with .22LR, I would highly suggest you narrow your choice to one that can be easily taken apart for cleaning.

Alternatively, you could get a .223/5.56 suppressor that is entirely made of stainless steel and soak the suppressor in vinegar/H202 solution to dissolve the lead build up in the can. However, the left over solution is haz mat stuff that needs to be disposed of properly. It will have dissolved lead in it.

Thanks for the info. Yes, that's right and I should have mentioned that I'll never buy any suppressor that can't be disassembled for cleaning... regardless of caliber.