Discovered on my range trip today that my Bundeswehr binoculars are not powerful enough (8x30) to give me a detailed view of my target. Even at a distance of 100 yards it's tough to get a sharp image of the target. Think maybe it's time to investigate a spotting scope.

Currently the farthest distance any range around here offers is 400 yards, and usually 100 or less is the norm, so I'm looking for a scope that will zoom in at these distances and give a sharp image. Not looking to spend a load of dollars on this, just looking for decent quality at a good price.

Any reccomendations?

Edited by Jpanzer

I picked up a Tasco Spotting scope with tripod for $50 at Wally World. It is pretty good for the price.

I impulsed bought an NC Star one for $80 at a gun show. I over paid by $30 once I looked it up online,

and at full magnification the image quality really sucks.

Malodave

I think cheapo spotting scopes should be fine at 100 yards. I think I got a Bushnell 16-32x50mm a while back, and it's fine for looking at .223 holes at 100 yards when it's zoomed in all the way. I don't remember how much it cost (it may have been a closeout), but I can't imagine myself paying more than $60 for it a few years ago.

If it is just for the range, then you can get away with a larger scope. A large objective lens like 60mm or 80mm will give you brighter picture that is easier to find (the exit pupil is calculated by dividing the objective lens by the power and that will give you how big the image will be that is projected onto your eye).

15 to 20 power can get you out seeing bullet holes at 300 yards if you have high quality glass with good clarity. Also without quality glass anything over 40x is going to be too fuzzy and washed out to really get the benefit of that much magnification.

I would look into Vortex, Nikon, Leupold, Konus, Kowa or Burris for midrange pricing with good glass & durability. Ziess and Swarovski are in the very high price range but have the absolute best glass & clarity (German Schott Glass) you can get out of an optic.

The cheap Chinese ones (Barska, NCStar etc.) may get the job done for less, but clarity will be harder to achieve and spotting can become difficult to see holes if shooting for accuracy or setting up a range card/sighting-in at distances beyond 150 yards. If going the cheap route look for "fully multicoated lenses". "Coated" and "multicoated" don't have coatings (that prevent light bleed off) on each surface of each lens like "fully multicoated".

Lastly, if you have the tools to shoot at longer distance, you will be more likely step out of your comfort zones and become a more versatile shooter.

i did a group buy on a local forum for the konus konuspot80. Its great and is very clear. IMO better than most at the price range..

Thanks for the info but what exactly is "the price range"?

I was getting mine for 165 shipped without using ebay but for people that wanted to use ebay 175 shipped. I still have her email and all so if youare interested I can give it to you. She works for Konus I believe. None the less she gave me a great deal.

If it is just for the range, then you can get away with a larger scope. A large objective lens like 60mm or 80mm will give you brighter picture that is easier to find (the exit pupil is calculated by dividing the objective lens by the power and that will give you how big the image will be that is projected onto your eye).

15 to 20 power can get you out seeing bullet holes at 300 yards if you have high quality glass with good clarity. Also without quality glass anything over 40x is going to be too fuzzy and washed out to really get the benefit of that much magnification.

I would look into Vortex, Nikon, Leupold, Konus, Kowa or Burris for midrange pricing with good glass & durability. Ziess and Swarovski are in the very high price range but have the absolute best glass & clarity (German Schott Glass) you can get out of an optic.

The cheap Chinese ones (Barska, NCStar etc.) may get the job done for less, but clarity will be harder to achieve and spotting can become difficult to see holes if shooting for accuracy or setting up a range card/sighting-in at distances beyond 150 yards. If going the cheap route look for "fully multicoated lenses". "Coated" and "multicoated" don't have coatings (that prevent light bleed off) on each surface of each lens like "fully multicoated".

Lastly, if you have the tools to shoot at longer distance, you will be more likely step out of your comfort zones and become a more versatile shooter.

Some good info there BuffetDestroyer, thanks! B)