S&W Sigma anyone have experience with it

Guy I work with(trust worthy fella) has one and wants to fund another purchase offered me a S&W Sigma for 300 bucks. Brand new never fired. I know nothing about these though. I figure for 300 I can at least make my money back if I dont like it.

Good rep? bad rep? They pretty decent?

• Like 1

Having owned one, I would recommend you pass. I personally did not care for the gun at all. The gun functions fine, however the trigger is the most horrible trigger I have ever experienced. To say the trigger is heavy, would be an understatement. I hear there is a trick to fix it, but I don't know what that entails. I may have purchased a bad one, but I don't know. I was not able to be accurate with it due to this one thing. I am not the type that needs to have a match trigger, and I shoot a lot of double action pistols. I purchased the sigma 10years ago, and sold it the same week I bought it. I have not known many shooters who would give their approval of it. If you could try the trigger before you purchased it, I would advise you to do so. Like I said it was t 10 yeas ago, and they may have improved the platform.

HTH,

RF

Edited by redfish28

I had one and it was very reliable and an accurate shooter. The only negative was that the trigger pull was extremely heavy. It supposedly lightens up over time but I can't state whether or not mine did. I sold it and upgraded. I got mine for $300 when S&W had a $50 rebate going. Was it worth $250? Absolutely! Would I take another one on trade for a good gun? Probably not. Still, I think it's a piece that is over-bashed.

.02 inserted, just another opinion.

The trigger is a piece of shit - other than that, despite all the bad press and shit-talking, they're not really that bad. I had one briefly, and didn't like it, mostly because of the trigger and the feel of the gun - didn't feel great in my hand. They're a very straightforward ripoff of the Glock design - strip one down and you notice all the same parts in all the same places. The dimensions are changed, but the action is identical. They are fairly reliable (I didn't fire mine very many times, but had zero FTF/FTE issues), but ugly as sin with a shitty trigger. If it comes with three or more mags, buy it. If it doesn't, meh.

Is the one he's offering in .40 or 9mm?

• Like 1

i have one in .40, it's the 1st semi auto i ever bought. never had any problems with it and have thousands of rounds through it. what everyone says about the trigger is true, it's pretty heavy. i've read that you can send them in to s&w for a free trigger job to lighten it up a bit.

The trigger is a piece of shit - other than that, despite all the bad press and shit-talking, they're not really that bad. I had one briefly, and didn't like it, mostly because of the trigger and the feel of the gun - didn't feel great in my hand. They're a very straightforward ripoff of the Glock design - strip one down and you notice all the same parts in all the same places. The dimensions are changed, but the action is identical. They are fairly reliable (I didn't fire mine very many times, but had zero FTF/FTE issues), but ugly as sin with a shitty trigger. If it comes with three or more mags, buy it. If it doesn't, meh.

Is the one he's offering in .40 or 9mm?

Its in .40 and comes with 2 mags. Honestly everything im hearing about the trigger pretty much turns me off. Im pretty picky about my triggers.

• 5 months later...

Of all the bashing I've seen for the Sigma, majority of it is about the 8# or so trigger. I read a little less than that about it being a Glock rip-off. I own a S&W .40VE and I love the hell out of it. I don't mind a heavy trigger, it just helps me with my trigger control. Accuracy isn't bad at pistol distances, but when you try to really reach out, there are some slight accuracy issues. Just like any other weapon, when you take it outside of it's comfort zone it doesn't always like it. I have put over a thousand rounds through mine with an occasional failure to feed when the firearm is cold. Once it's warm I have no problems with it. Sorry to res a dead topic, but I wanted to share my two cents about one of my favorite pistols.

Guy I work with(trust worthy fella) has one and wants to fund another purchase offered me a S&W Sigma for 300 bucks. Brand new never fired. I know nothing about these though. I figure for 300 I can at least make my money back if I dont like it.

Good rep? bad rep? They pretty decent?

I saw a deal on slickguns for Sigma 9mm / 40SW for 259.99. Just FYI