How to customize your stock Handguard

A lot of people are asking how I did my Handguard. I will try to explain the best I can. Grab your Dremel cut out the two side panels from the Handguard. Then start sanding the inside of the Handguard with the Sanding Wheel, you will need to sand off quite a bit of the plastic on the inside of the Handguard to make space of the Metal Grill you put in. I took off a lot of Plastic from mine because I wanted the Handguard to slide over the Barrel without scratching the finish once I secured the Grill into the Handguard. To get the Grill to curve to the shape of the Gas Tube, you will need a piece of Metal Pipe about the size of the Gas Tube or a bit smaller this way it fits on there snug, tap the Grill with a Hammer to curve it to the Pipe, once you fit it to the Gas tube you will want to bend tabs at the bottom of the Grill to secure it to the Gas Tube. Now for the Handguard you will need to take a piece of paper and put it inside half of the Handguard press down on the paper so it curves to the handguard, mark it with a Pencil where you want to cut . Use just enough Grill to cover the opening in the Handguard you dont want too much extra Metal in there because you will probably have to end up grinding a lot of it off for the final fit. After you mark the paper use it as a stensil to cut your Grill, push the Grill into the Handguard contouring it to the curves. Use a Hammer and a Screwdriver to tap the metal into the curves of the Handguard, gently, do the same for the other side. To secure the Grill inside the Handguard I used Golf Club Epoxy. Why Golf Club Epoxy? because it takes direct Flame from a Torch to get a Clubhead off a Golf Shaft. S12 never gets that hot.

post-22569-0-57557900-1298349702_thumb.jpg

post-22569-0-36363300-1298349711_thumb.jpg

post-22569-0-39345100-1298349725_thumb.jpg

post-22569-0-22197400-1298349736_thumb.jpg

post-22569-0-37729100-1298349750_thumb.jpg

post-22569-0-23577200-1298349769_thumb.jpg

post-22569-0-38533000-1298350033_thumb.jpg

Where did you get your metal grill?? Or any ideas where one could find some with different patterns?? You did a good job!! :super:

Exactly what he said! :) Where did you get the grill? BTW...although I think I have already said this....FREAK'N FANTASTIC JOB! Following your front sight mod as well. You Sir are very good at 'thinking outside of the box'. Well done!

Where did you get your metal grill?? Or any ideas where one could find some with different patterns?? You did a good job!! :super:

Exactly what he said! :) Where did you get the grill? BTW...although I think I have already said this....FREAK'N FANTASTIC JOB! Following your front sight mod as well. You Sir are very good at 'thinking outside of the box'. Well done!

The company I work for have this Grill pattern custom made for them. I get scraps now and then for my little projects. There might be a company out there that sells all types of patterns, I dont know off hand. Sometimes I get in trouble thinking outside the Box.

Edited by Sumsky