AR pistol project Sofa KIng

Looks awesome so far.

What kind of rail is that? I've always like the look of the KX3 tucked inside the rail.

It's an Oly FIRSH and yes the pig fits nicely.:devil:

gallery_26887_666_14416.jpg

Nice!

I've been thinking about turning one of my virgin lowers into an AR pistol. I just keep getting hung up on the velocity loss that 5.56 takes from a shorter barrel. Then part of me wants to build a 9mm AR pistol, just because.

• Like 1

I figure a pistol round should just be in a standard pistol and a rifle round that uses a rifle receiver needs just that. That and a skinny mag hanging out of the magwell drives me crazy.

I'm building a pistol simply because the state I live in thinks that if I add a plastic triangle to the buffer tube I will no longer be smart enough to operate it.:lolol:

Edited by Fumes

I figure a pistol round should just be in a standard pistol and a rifle round that uses a rifle receiver needs just that. That and a skinny mag hanging out of the magwell drives me crazy.

I'm building a pistol simply because the state I live in thinks that if I add a plastic triangle to the buffer tube I will no longer be smart enough to operate it.:lolol:

I hear ya. I've just been getting a hankering for another 9mm AR, and I don't have any AR pistols yet. LoneWolf is coming out with a 2nd generation of their AR lowers that are machined to take Glock mags and standard AR uppers (with slight mods, if you use a Colt-style upper). It'd be perfect for the 33rd Glock mags I just picked up.

THAT is the kind of attitude I like to hear bro! 180 degrees in under 90 days, I feel like I just converted someone to the dark side! It's lookin good! maybe a .458 SOCOM upper build later?

You guys ever hear of Chester Arms LLC,??? I'm thinking this is not a bad price for a .223 pistol, any feedback about Chester Arms??

This kit is minus a stripped lower of course.

http://www.chesterarmsllc.com/AR15_Pistol.html

Still pricey Bean. What holds you back from doing your own build? The barrel? use this to make it even easier http://mapartsinc.com/productsDetail.asp?id=1415

You guys ever hear of Chester Arms LLC,??? I'm thinking this is not a bad price for a .223 pistol, any feedback about Chester Arms??

Never heard of them. I even did the " <search term> site:ar15.com" on Google, and it didn't bring anything up on them on Arfcom. I know a lot of people don't like Arfcom, but if the biggest AR site on the web isn't bringing up any hits for an AR company......... :unsure:

The only thing I don't like about arf is it is too much all crammed into one site. I have a hard time navigating it and I still haven't figured out how to even use the search function to get anything to come up. I could type in "arfcom" and come up empty.:lolol:

• Like 1

Still pricey Bean. What holds you back from doing your own build? The barrel? use this to make it even easier http://mapartsinc.com/productsDetail.asp?id=1415

FIRSTLY I HEAR YA FUMES!!!! I really got nothing against arfcom, its just to big...Same with INGO.

Yarp, I guess I'm not totally familiar with the laws concerning ar pistols, for example, if I buy a 7 inch upper I intend to use for a pistol configuration do I need to let the company I am buying from know this?? Or are they going to want to do NFA paperwork before sending it to me?? Hence a wait plus 200 bucks?? Or are items listed "Pistol uppers" not designed to fit on regular AR lowers?? Sorry, I am a AR pistol noob....

Edited by Bean.223

FIRSTLY I HEAR YA FUMES!!!! I really got nothing against arfcom, its just to big...Same with INGO.

Yarp, I guess I'm not totally familiar with the laws concerning ar pistols, for example, if I buy a 7 inch upper I intend to use for a pistol configuration do I need to let the company I am buying from know this?? Or are they going to want to do NFA paperwork before sending it to me?? Hence a wait plus 200 bucks?? Or are items listed "Pistol uppers" not designed to fit on regular AR lowers?? Sorry, I am a AR pistol noob....

Shorty uppers can be shipped directly to your house, just like a 16"+ barreled upper, and nothing extra is involved in the buying process. It's on you to not put on a stocked lower without the proper stamp.

EDIT:....Yes, pistol/shorty uppers fit any standard AR lower, just like a 16" upper.

Edited by -Shooter-

Shorty uppers can be shipped directly to your house, just like a 16"+ barreled upper, and nothing extra is involved in the buying process. It's on you to not put on a stocked lower without the proper stamp.

EDIT:....Yes, pistol/shorty uppers fit any standard AR lower, just like a 16" upper.

Ah, cool thanx man!!

Bean-The part I threw up yesterday http://mapartsinc.co...ail.asp?id=1415 then get on GunBroker and just start buying parts slowly (or fast if the right deals come up!). There are always short barrels for sale on there and that's where I usually spend the most money on a build. You can usually find a Rock River Arms pistol lower for about $250-$300 finished, but again with patience you can do it for less. I currently have $410.00 spent for my next 6.8SPC build and all I'm looking for now is the hand guard and BCG. Not shabby

yeah if you find a good deal on striped lowers i got 5 from nodak a while back for 70$ each when you do the transfer you can either register them as lowers or a pistol I saved one for a pistol lower only had it engraved as such also so I don't forget most builds I've done usualy cost around 500-600$ for a decent rifle . but you can mount any upper to any standard ar lower but for a pistol style upper if you mount it to a lower that's not registered as a pistol it would then fall under a sbr and would have to pay a tax stamp hope all that made scence

yeah if you find a good deal on striped lowers i got 5 from nodak a while back for 70$ each when you do the transfer you can either register them as lowers or a pistol I saved one for a pistol lower only had it engraved as such also so I don't forget most builds I've done usualy cost around 500-600$ for a decent rifle . but you can mount any upper to any standard ar lower but for a pistol style upper if you mount it to a lower that's not registered as a pistol it would then fall under a sbr and would have to pay a tax stamp hope all that made scence

Under Federal Law, there is no such thing as pistol registration. All lowers are transferred on a 4473 as "other" in line 18. That is, it is neither a pistol, nor a rifle. It is a LOWER RECEIVER.

You are free to build it into any configuration. As long as it has never been built into a complete RIFLE, you can build it into a pistol.

State and local laws may require declaration of a lower as intended for a pistol or a rifle, but in the eyes of the FEDS, it makes no difference. If your FFL "requires" you to declare on a form 4473 either pistol or rifle, they are wrong, and seek someone else to handle your transfer.

Under Federal Law, there is no such thing as pistol registration. All lowers are transferred on a 4473 as "other" in line 18. That is, it is neither a pistol, nor a rifle. It is a LOWER RECEIVER.

You are free to build it into any configuration. As long as it has never been built into a complete RIFLE, you can build it into a pistol.

State and local laws may require declaration of a lower as intended for a pistol or a rifle, but in the eyes of the FEDS, it makes no difference. If your FFL "requires" you to declare on a form 4473 either pistol or rifle, they are wrong, and seek someone else to handle your transfer.

Most states do have a law requiring you to register a pistol, A+ for covering your ass bigcec.

Well I got my YHM extended take down pins, now I don't have to hold the receiver together with an allen wrench til I get the LPK.

RRA buffer set up should be here in a day or two and the LPK middle of next week.

gallery_26887_666_18590.jpg

I've been looking at a piston pistol build lately no buffer tube looks pretty sweet

The buffer tube is the best part of the AR pistol, it'd be a shame to get rid of it.....No, I'm not joking, LOL!

You could put one of those shorter tubes on there, just be careful the charging handle doesn't tear your nose up (it really hurts).

I've been looking at a piston pistol build lately no buffer tube looks pretty sweet

The buffer tube is the best part of the AR pistol, it'd be a shame to get rid of it.....No, I'm not joking, LOL!

You could put one of those shorter tubes on there, just be careful the charging handle doesn't tear your nose up (it really hurts).

I agree the buffer tube is really dual purpose for an AR pistol. It's as close as I'm going to get to a SBR. It's all about cheek weld.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I was able to put a few rounds through it, it ran fine til I got to some HSM factory reloads, then I had 2 jams. Live round stuck in the chamber. Had to break it down and pry the bolt back to get them out.:ph34r: After I ditched all the reloads it ran great.