I picked up a new SIG556 the other day. The SIGARMS stock, fore-end, flash hider and pistol grip had to go. I replaced them with Swiss made 551 parts. Over all I like the rifle, but the safety and magazine release are a little hard to reach.

sig556.jpg

sig556-2.jpg

sig556-4.jpg

sig556-5.jpg

sig556-3.jpg

Edited by Banshee

Ive always held these rifles in high regard, I personally do not plan to own one but I'm interested in what comparisons you have made to other rifles and how it shoots etc.

I've not shot it enough to make any type of a fair comparison. I have only run a few magazines through it, and they were pretty uneventful. Recoil is almost non-existent, and it seems to be pretty accurate as far as could tell just plinking around. As for being muzzle heavy, it is less muzzle heavy than my 20 inch AR15A2 HBAR. I like heavy rifles, so I may not the best to judge it.

• 2 weeks later...

I fired a Sig 556 and I was ultimately annoyed with how wide the front sight post happened to be on the particular one I was shooting. It made it harder to accurately shoot at longer distances. Is it just me, or are the front sight posts on these things unusually wide?

Unlike some people, I do not find this gun to be "too heavy" (my M1A is heavier and I do not have issues with that). The gun I fired performed flawlessly, but again, that front sight post drove me up a wall. If I were going to get one of these rifles, I would probably try to find a narrower front sight post (assuming they make any) or get a red dot sight. I was thinking of getting one of these guns, but I ultimately decided to build an AR-15 instead.

I fired a Sig 556 and I was ultimately annoyed with how wide the front sight post happened to be on the particular one I was shooting. It made it harder to accurately shoot at longer distances. Is it just me, or are the front sight posts on these things unusually wide?

Unlike some people, I do not find this gun to be "too heavy" (my M1A is heavier and I do not have issues with that). The gun I fired performed flawlessly, but again, that front sight post drove me up a wall. If I were going to get one of these rifles, I would probably try to find a narrower front sight post (assuming they make any) or get a red dot sight. I was thinking of getting one of these guns, but I ultimately decided to build an AR-15 instead.

ya the front sight is a little wider than AKs and ARs, but I like a bigger sights these days. I don't have any problems with them being muzzle heavy either.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't take the bad AR features on my 556, so I converted it into a 551. Replaced the 556 lower with a new Swiss made 551 lower and 30rd magazine.

rightside.jpg

rightsidecloseup.jpg

trigger guard folds to the side.

triggerguard.jpg

leftsidecloseup.jpg

much, much better now.

Edited by Banshee
  • Like 1

I couldn't take the bad AR features on my 556, so I converted it into a 551. Replaced the 556 lower with a new Swiss made 551 lower and 30rd magazine.

rightside.jpg

rightsidecloseup.jpg

trigger guard folds to the side.

triggerguard.jpg

leftsidecloseup.jpg

much, much better now.

How do you like that sight set. 7.62X39 comes with Red Dot, yet no irons. Deciding on a iron set. :smoke:

How do you like that sight set. 7.62X39 comes with Red Dot, yet no irons. Deciding on a iron set. :smoke:

I like the style of sight, but the ones SIG installs are a little on the cheap side. I am going to replace them with a set made by Aurora Industries IF I don't go with a scope

http://auroraind.net...x?CategoryID=26

I like the style of sight, but the ones SIG installs are a little on the cheap side. I am going to replace them with a set made by Aurora Industries IF I don't go with a scope

Appreciate reply, Noticed there are a few after market makers, flip ups seem high, won't be trying to co-witness, and not into Red dots that come with weapon. Either iron or regular scope. :smoke:

Appreciate reply, Noticed there are a few after market makers, flip ups seem high, won't be trying to co-witness, and not into Red dots that come with weapon. Either iron or regular scope. :smoke:

AR sights and optic mounts tend to be high due to the stock design.

I was looking at this scope mount. The low mount for a bolt action is the same height as the SIG sights.

GGGAccucamQD30mmLow.jpg

GGGAccucamQD30mmLow2.jpg

http://www.botachtac...acqdinriba.html

Edited by Banshee

Damnit! I'd love one of those lowers but I can't justify the expense.

Nicest looking Classic I've seen. :super:

Ya it was expensive but it still cheaper than one of the 250 SIG 551s that were imported. I have wanted a 551 for years and this was the cheapest way I find to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought the Sig 556Russian, I'm pleased with it, I like the red dot alot. It's really acurate at 100 yrds, Sig has done some great work keeping the climb down and recoil is minimal. However it doesn't like the tula ammo much. The first round failed to eject, infact the spent casing was lodged so tight in the barrel i had to slam the bolt shut and rip it back open by hand to clear it out. After that I could only get it to operate with the valve in the number 2 position, till i fired about 6 more then it ran in no 1 for about 60 rounds till it fouled up enough to need to go back to pos.2. Now that I've ran about 300 through it, it still doesn't like the first few rounds on postion 1, but then it cleans up and repeats the previous cycle. I've not had anymore issue with casing not clearing the barrel. All in all I'm very pleased.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought the Sig 556Russian, I'm pleased with it, I like the red dot alot. It's really acurate at 100 yrds, Sig has done some great work keeping the climb down and recoil is minimal. However it doesn't like the tula ammo much. The first round failed to eject, infact the spent casing was lodged so tight in the barrel i had to slam the bolt shut and rip it back open by hand to clear it out. After that I could only get it to operate with the valve in the number 2 position, till i fired about 6 more then it ran in no 1 for about 60 rounds till it fouled up enough to need to go back to pos.2. Now that I've ran about 300 through it, it still doesn't like the first few rounds on postion 1, but then it cleans up and repeats the previous cycle. I've not had anymore issue with casing not clearing the barrel. All in all I'm very pleased.

UPDATE!!

I recently sent this weapon in to be serviced by Sig because of continued FTF,FTE...seems like an excessive head space issue. I should be reciveing it back some time this week. But since having originally posted this, I've read alot of people claiming the same issue, also that Sig said they "void the warranty if steel cased ammo was used" THATS NOT TRUE! Sig asked me to try several types of ammo before sending it in to service but never said ANYTHING about not using steel they did ask if i could find some brass and try it too. So far they've been more than willing to work with me, having responeded to my emails and calls promptly, but I'll not say for certain, how I feel about their service till i get my weapon back and get some serious rounds through it. Just wanted to be fair in all things said.

UPDATE!!

I recently sent this weapon in to be serviced by Sig because of continued FTF,FTE...seems like an excessive head space issue. I should be reciveing it back some time this week. But since having originally posted this, I've read alot of people claiming the same issue, also that Sig said they "void the warranty if steel cased ammo was used" THATS NOT TRUE! Sig asked me to try several types of ammo before sending it in to service but never said ANYTHING about not using steel they did ask if i could find some brass and try it too. So far they've been more than willing to work with me, having responeded to my emails and calls promptly, but I'll not say for certain, how I feel about their service till i get my weapon back and get some serious rounds through it. Just wanted to be fair in all things said.

Let see on their service. Most tight tolerance weapons don't like the steel cases. Especially when new, (under 3,000 rds). Got a PTR, it took third mag, or about 100rds to get steel ammo kinks out. :smoke:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the 556R back from sig yesterday, and got her out to the range today, and WHAT A DIFFRENCE! The report from the gunsmith was vauge to say the least read " Corrected problems, fired 20 rnds preformed normaly". Upon receiving I broke it down, inpsected parts to see what had been done. I could see that the entire lower was diffrent first off. ( Honestly I would have though the issues had more to do with the upper assembly) And some work had been done on the rails, as i could see some of the pin welds were more pronounced than before. The new folding stock has a metal clasp and no longer comes dislodged from the stock when clipping to the hand guard. So far so good. Also all internals were well lubercated, except chamber appeared to be slightly dry. So before heading out to the range I ran some oiled swatched through the barrel loaded up the mags (they threw in an extra mag), and headed to the range.

Range Report:

Anticipating much failure I bought a box of winchester x39 brass for a final straw. My plan was to fire as much cheap russian steel ammo as she'd take till she fail to fire from either gas setting, then run the brass to confirm it was the gun and not the ammo. After taking my time sighting in my red dot at 50yrds I moved to 100 got her tweaked where I wanted it and started popping off rounds as fast as the range would allow. I was expecting more issues, but no matter how limp wristed I held it I couldn't get it to malfunction. After about 100rnds I rolled some around in the dirt and stuffed them in the mag. She ate them and smiled for more. Unfortunately I under estimated her, and only brought 120 rounds, but I never had to adjust the gas, and COULD NOT replicate any of the previous failures! I feel much better about this rifle! Guess it's time to head out to the woods and see just how many rounds before she starts choking.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Because of my Saigas, my 556swat spends a lot of time in the safe. Everytime I take it to the range I am impressed and have never had any problems with any type of ammo. I find that is is very accurate, even for me.

• 1 year later...

My gun came with the normal m4 type buttstock and it does not lock when folded. Can anyone give me advice on what stock to replace it with so it will lock when folded? Thanks in advance.

Also, any suggestions on a replacement PG for this gun?

Thanks for any help.

edit- Also, do I need to replace the buffer tube to change the stock?

Edited by King of the Hill
  • 5 weeks later...