I bought this CAI L1A1 Fal sporter last month but havent had time to test fire it yet. I have however, been busy trying to change it back to its original look. Let me tell you its not easy. The FAL days have come and went. Now the metric FAL is more popular but US parts for both arnt as easy to find as they are for an AK or Galil.

922 is a PITA. I tracked down and bought a US FCG (trigger, hammer, sear) a US made piston and a pistol grip for gunthings dot com thats 5 parts. A US made charging handle from a guy on falfiles, bringing the US parts count to 6. Also posted a WTB US L1A1 furniture on falfiles and luckely a guy near me had a stock and handguards. Bringing the total count to 8 US parts. More then enough to be compliant.

Today I stripped the L1A1. When I took the top cover off to my amazement it was an Imbel reciever!!!!!! Woohooo!!

2011-02-22_20-05-49_903-1.jpg

These were some of the best forged recievers!! The rest is a British kit dating bak to the late 50s early 60s. The rifle was built by CAI shortly after the 94 ban thus it was a thumbhole sporter. Upon stripping the gun down I found out a few things.

A) It has a shit load of springs

B ) It is probably the most user friendly rifle to strip down

C) I want another!!!

As I took it apart it became evidant that the last owner never shot it. or if he had it was only a mag worth of ammo. Everything was still covered in gunk. The fcg was easy to pull out. Did I mention it a very user friendly rifle!! :) I did a quick clean and put on the new furniture.

Before

20110212153554730.jpg

After

2011-03-05_17-59-42_186.jpg

NOTE: The furniture is just one to make sure its correct and everything fits. Nothing is fully in place. top cover still off. But this is how it will look. I also have a set of US plastic black furniture inbound while I stain and fit the wood.

It still needs to be stripped down and soaked to remoove the cosmoline. But its coming along. Just need to thread the barrel and add a flash hider

• Like 3

Careful, it can become an addiction. :cryss: Got hooked big time in the 90's, building for myself and friends. Got a shelf full of Fal tools. :smoke: P.S. A supplier on Gunbroker has the stainless spring repacement sets. Been happy, and always good to be prepared.