AK Rear Sight Block

Okay, the S12 might look cool with the sight leaf, but is the sight accurate or even functional on the firearm?

Sure they work, why wouldn't they? I use my irons for slugs and clays all the time.

Z

So you need a notched rear sight, like the gun comes with stock, not a leaf. Like I said, you want it for looks more power to you. Have fun.

So you need a notched rear sight, like the gun comes with stock, not a leaf. Like I said, you want it for looks more power to you. Have fun.

I don't get it... a notched rear sight is somehow better than a leaf which is also notched?

As far as I can tell from shooting quite a bit of each type, they both will perform the same function. Russian military/police shotguns often have an AK rear sight leaf. I don't imagine they want to be like the cool kids and use AK sights just for looks, I'm betting they probably work.

If you don't like them that's certainly your business of course, but I don't see how a rear sight leaf is just for looks. It is form and function...why wouldn't that be a good thing?

Z

Cobra, I'm with ya. I personaly don't need the adjustability of the AK rear, but give me one that looks the same from the rear and a FSB out at the muzzle and I'll be happy as can be.

I have plans, I just need to decide if I'm going to build another gun or do them to my current one. (I think I love it too much to tear it down and not have it for any length of time)

the rear sight block is the easier half of it, some trimming and welding; the front site is more difficult, for me at least. what I've been considering is pick up a dinzag style raised front site and a bore sighter then line the rsb up with it.

I don't get it... a notched rear sight is somehow better than a leaf which is also notched?

No, the message is that the notch is essential, but the leaf part on a shotgun is not, and certainly not as functional as on a rifle. But hey, it's not my gun so have at it as you want. I'm done here.

No, the message is that the notch is essential, but the leaf part on a shotgun is not, and certainly not as functional as on a rifle. But hey, it's not my gun so have at it as you want. I'm done here.

I see where you're comming from, I'm thinking about the CSS sight set personaly.

Just sayin... I happen to like holding my AK S-12 on target...looking like, feeling like, and being like an AK on steroids...and actually drawing a bead with the same familiar sight picture I'm used to on all my other favorite weapons. That's all. I hate the factory S-12 sights. If that makes me a mall ninja in some circles..well....who cares. Metric measurements aside, it's all relevant. I can get right on target with slugs and have plenty of room for adjustment.

Amen. See that is how I feel. All my old C&R rifles use the damned things. My RPK and PSL have em. The AK I am getting has em. Why use something else that isn't telescopic?

I got an email back from Dinzag today:

>We're currently developing a shotgun rear sight block/gas tube that we can sell right off the shelf. No need for the customer to send us their tube or even press the gas block on the shotgun. This design will also be cheaper than the current way it is done. We're looking at 6-8 weeks to be in production.

>The current design I mill 1/2 of the rear tube block and 1/2 an AK rear sight block and TIG them together. These are very labor intensive to do correctly. It is absolutely critical that the finished assembly is identical to the factory tube where it engages the front trunnion/dust cover and also the alignment of the tube from the trunnion to the gas block.

>Just measure everything on the factory tube's block and make a drawing. Make sure it matches those dimensions when finished.

So, I will not even be messing with this. If Dinzag stays on schedule, I'll pick one up in the spring.

• 7 months later...

let me preface this post by stating im a s12 noob, but a s12 junkie already!

im looking at my first conversion and was looking at the tws dog leg for a nice low dust cover integrated rail. the only way i can see it mounting is on the/an ak style leaf sight block. which brings about the need for the dinzag mod.

or maybe im wrong?

Okay guys. The best part of the Dinzag kit is that you get to run XS sights AK Big Dot sight on it. It's a perfect setup for shotgun with that big round tritium front sight.

Not to mention that it's freaking beautiful, in of itself. His new CNC model is so clean and perfect. From what I saw in pictures here, I liked the old one too, but you could see the welds.

I should take a picture of my shotgun.

• 2 years later...