question about improving BFPU finish...

i dont know if this was a good thing or not, but i got bored and decided todo this to my AK since ive always liked that look. my question is, how do i get rid of the swirls/lines from using the sander?? im trying to make this look as unintentional as possible... also any other suggestions on improving would be appreciated...

F1010593.jpg

F1010592.jpg

Steel wool is the best way to remove finish so it looks like BFPU wear.

Because you already removed quite a bit of the finish already, I'd go back with some cold blue and add finish back to certain areas and cover up the worst of the sanding marks. Then steel wool as needed.

Your wood is waaaaay too nice

lol, my gunsmith said the same when he saw it (getting arisaka fixed), said the same about the bolt carrier as well. ive always liked nice wood furni and the shiny carrier, so i dont wanna switch it or scratchin, ill let nature take its toll on that one...

Steel wool is the best way to remove finish so it looks like BFPU wear.

Because you already removed quite a bit of the finish already, I'd go back with some cold blue and add finish back to certain areas and cover up the worst of the sanding marks. Then steel wool as needed.

ok i picked up some birchwood casey in case il have to do that. would this work?

A buddy of mine did one in similar fashion. You need to scrub some mags down to match!

i plan on doing that, but im afraid it will affect the pre-ban status of my mags. i live in NY, gun-unfriendly state.

Edited by m1lk

How would rubbing some finish off the mags affect their status? Does that mean you can't paint them if you desired a camo finish as well?

ETA: I live in a gun friendly state. Just curious.

Edited by MT Predator