Legion or Izhmash?

I had the chance to buy a Saiga-12. The guy on the phone said that it was a Saiga-12 that was MADE and IMPORTED by Legion (NOT Russian American Armory and Izhmash).

What is the difference?

Is the Saiga-12 made by more than one firm?

Is it less valuable, wanted, and reliable?

Who should I buy from?

I'm a Newbie and want a Saiga-12 NIB from Izhmash!

Guy on the phone is wrong. Legion is a branch of Izhmash. Apparently they make the "higher end" products from Izhmash. That said, I have heard that almost all newly imported Saiga's, be them rifles or shotguns, are marked Legion.

The gun itself was probably imported by Mercury Hermes in Louisville, KY.

Guy on the phone is wrong. Legion is a branch of Izhmash. Apparently they make the "higher end" products from Izhmash. That said, I have heard that almost all newly imported Saiga's, be them rifles or shotguns, are marked Legion.

The gun itself was probably imported by Mercury Hermes in Louisville, KY.

That about sums it up right there.

Z

Legion is a branch of Izhmash. Apparently they make the "higher end" products from Izhmash.

My 109BHO seems to support this. It is a three hole gun that cycled bulk pack from the stock mag straight out of the box. Fit and finish is great, and the internals took only minimal shaping and polishing to feel as good as my professionally converted gun.

I had the chance to buy a Saiga-12. The guy on the phone said that it was a Saiga-12 that was MADE and IMPORTED by Legion (NOT Russian American Armory and Izhmash).

What is the difference?

Is the Saiga-12 made by more than one firm?

Is it less valuable, wanted, and reliable?

Who should I buy from?

I'm a Newbie and want a Saiga-12 NIB from Izhmash!

Legion is an affiliate firm of Izmash in other words a company owned by Izmash.

The guns from Legion had a better finish, wooden parts,sometimes engravings and gold inlays but that applies mainly to pistols. Legion was offering a lot of those in decorative cases as a gift. All this was targeting the high class Russian civilian market that's why rifles were always semi and pistols deact(illegal to own legally :P a pistol in commie Russia). If somebody didn't mind waiting, one could actually order the gun directly from Legion according to his specifications, barrel length, type of pistol grip,type of furniture etc. Rifles and shotguns were Izmash production, pistols were old Soviet Makarovs that were refurbished by Izmash to turn into toys, don't remember Nagants although Izmash was selling a lot of those modified to fire rubber bullets . Not sure what Legion is selling these days.

My 2c

Edited by Joe Blasco