Got it off, Need to figure out to get it back on

So I have this, and need to get it fixed up. Does anyone have some tips, advise or a guide to get the barrel back in? Getting it out was NOT fun. Good thing I was planning on cutting it down because the muzzle doesn't look great anymore.

My current plan is to hone the two surfaces nicely and goop it up with some stuff that is designed for bolt gun barrels then seat the pin. If I do a good job honing it should go right in, but maybe there are other ideas? Thanks,

28a2kuc.jpg

Well... the silence is no surprise really.

Why?

From what I have seen so far... This forum is filled with a lot of people who claim to be master gunsmiths and machinists but who actual experience goes not much farther than a dremel. That's not to say there isn't some talent here... But when something is actually tough to do, the amount of info seems to dry up really fast. I've seen a lot of talk.

I'll toss the barrel in the lathe and hone it a bit, then clean up the receiver by hand. It'll go fine I was just curious if anyone knew any tips.

• Like 1

From what I have seen so far... This forum is filled with a lot of people who claim to be master gunsmiths and machinists but who actual experience goes not much farther than a dremel. That's not to say there isn't some talent here... But when something is actually tough to do, the amount of info seems to dry up really fast. I've seen a lot of talk.

Maybe ways to reinstall the barrel should have been something you would have thought about before just pulling it in the first place.

Try searching the forum for threads on pressing the barrel back in. They are here.

In any case, patience and honest effort will get you a lot further than complaining.

Maybe ways to reinstall the barrel should have been something you would have thought about before just pulling it in the first place.

Try searching the forum for threads on pressing the barrel back in. They are here.

Yea, I tried searching... I found such sage advice as: "Use a hacksaw", "Try a pipe cutter", "Sell it and buy a 19"... etc. Genius!

Fuck that noise. I already have a plan and it'll work. The funny part here is you guys telling me I'm wrong in that the tech advise on this forum is a step behind, have not provided any answers, advice, or links. I'll hone the shit out of both surfaces and seat it myself . The gas block will have to go on after the barrel, during if I need to adjust the rotation.

All I was asking was if there were any tricks, since searching didn't yield much, and the response so far is lacking, I'll keep looking.

• Like 1

Well, I'm just now seeing this thread, but I'll bite. Also, I did not look at the above linked thread, since I know how the AK system barrels come out and go in.

Really, you should have some specific tooling for removing and reinstalling the barrel. The buggered up muzzle you mention confirms why. Both the barrel pin and the barrel itself are supposed to be a rather tight press fit, so that they do not come out and the barrel does not wobble around under the pressures of firing and cycling. Specific tooling is made to use with a hydraulic press to push out the pin and the barrel without the gun jumping around or damaging the gun or barrel from the pressure on the various unevenly shaped parts. This tooling also is useful because since you're not so concerned with damaging the parts, you can concentrate on them being properly lined up as they are installed.

While I haven't asked around, I imagine that some here do indeed remove the barrel when working on these guns. I do not. I don't have the tooling for that, but my other tooling means I don't have to remove the barrel to get the work done that I need to do.

Honing the barrel/trunnion to where you can push it in by hand or by lightly tapping it in with a hammer will leave it too loose, and the gun will not last long. It may even kill you.