.690" RB loads -- that'll probably leave a mark

I'll keep this as simple as possible. I used a Lee Load All II press. I used cheap Federal/Estate target load hulls, the kind with paper base wads, that I know were dry. These are straight wall hulls which help keep the pressure lower. I had to tap the powder bushing to drop all the 800X. 800X seems to stick to plastic bushing without tapping. The wad was trimmed just below 1/2 of the Round Ball. There is enough petal(s) remaining to guide the RB down barrel. The RB was made using a Lyman's mold. The average RB weighs 492 grains (1.12 ounces). So here is recipe and results:

Hull: Federal/Estate with paper base wad (dry)

Primer: Fiocchi 616

800X: 28.2 grains

Wad: Federal S3 (trimmed petals)

Felt: One 1/8" felt in wad under RB (weighs 10 grains)

.690 RB: 492 grains

OSC: One thin Over Shot Card (20 gauge) to help even the 8 point crimp

F.P.S. and P.S.I.

1361 and 8100

1342 and 7900

1326 and 7400

1335 and 7800

--------------------

1341 and 7800

These results were out of a 30" Krieger test barrel. So expect about 77 fps less velocity out of a 19" bbl.

OK. I must confess, I didn't measure the pressure. Tom Armbrust measured the pressure and velocity. Tom's equipment at Ballistics Research includes the following:

SkyScreen III

Krieger test barrel

barrel is 30" Skeet

Bore is .727

The pressure transducer make and model I can not determine. I can only read the serial number of the unit. I send all my loads to Tom for testing. He charges $5 per shell tested. I had a primer fail a while back and he didn't charge me for the test but allowed me to resend a shell with my next set to be tested.

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/