What to feed a S&W 29-2?

Bought a 100% new, factory fired S&W 29-2 with the 8 in and change barrel.

I have read from some sources that the older 29s can get shot loose and out of time

via much shooting with full magnum loads. I plan on shooting the pistol some, but, if

it gets shot 100 times a year, I'd be surprised.

I imagine all 44 special loads will be fine, and I think the normal power 240 grain

and lower .44 magnum loads should be fine. I don't plan to shoot the faster rounds

for the lever guns, nor the 300 grain hunting rounds, and, with the hammering those

original grips are probably going to deliver, I might not be shooting much standard power

44 mag anyways.

Anyway, advice is appreciated. This pistol will get light use, and that's about it.

Edit: The pistol is a 29-2, pinned/recessed, circa 1976 gun.

Edited by Kliegl

Bought a 100% new, factory fired S&W 29-2 with the 8 in and change barrel.

I have read from some sources that the older 29s can get shot loose and out of time

via much shooting with full magnum loads. I plan on shooting the pistol some, but, if

it gets shot 100 times a year, I'd be surprised.

I imagine all 44 special loads will be fine, and I think the normal power 240 grain

and lower .44 magnum loads should be fine. I don't plan to shoot the faster rounds

for the lever guns, nor the 300 grain hunting rounds, and, with the hammering those

original grips are probably going to deliver, I might not be shooting much standard power

44 mag anyways.

Anyway, advice is appreciated. This pistol will get light use, and that's about it.

Edit: The pistol is a 29-2, pinned/recessed, circa 1976 gun.

Feed your S&W 29-2...

To the Rancor!

Seriously though, if there's a concern with magnum loads causing damage, stick with .44 Special, or even load your own .44 Special, if you're a reloader. Should be a pretty cheap round to reload, once you have the brass - pretty sure you can use Blue Dot, which is pretty cheap when you buy it in bulk, and .44 cal cast lead bullets are pretty cheap.

With that few # of shots per year, I wouldn't sweat it. At only 100 per year just buy whatever shoots well in it. Try a few different loads to find the best accuracy. I reload for my .44 mag, but I shoot a lot! I load some pretty light loads for plinking too, but only because I shoot at least 50 rounds per outing, sometimes as much as 150 rounds.

You won't have any problem shooting factory 240gr loads on a normal bases target shooting . Just stay away from the heavy bullet " Bear Loads " in the 328-350 gr range a few different manufacturers have out . These may knock your revolver out of time . I know from personal experience as I had to send a 629 back to S&W for this reason . They fixed it for free with a note saying not to shoot the heavy loads in it any more as they might not fix it free the next time . They new what I did even though I didn't tell them . Just my experience with the Smith's . Never had a problem shooting the heavy loads out of my Rugers.

My 3-gunner friend has a S&W .44mag airlight (aluminum and titanium everything), and it's not too bad to shoot with 240-grain magnums. Sharp, but not painful. It's much too light to shoot more than a couple of the 300-grainers at targets, even with the soft grips. I had a bruise across the web of my hand after 2 shots.

You should be good to go with 240-grain magnums and nothing heavier.