UTG scope mount for S308, good enough?

I (and others) have ran the UTG978 mount on the Saiga 308 (and other Saiga's) just fine..

They are like $35 from Opticsplanet w/free shipping..

You can also run the BP-02 (low profile) from Russia for about $60... which also is good from what I am told..

My UTG978's has been great on all 3 Saiga's I have owned.

I have one of the UTG lever locks on my 308 and it works great. I take my scope off and put it back on and it holds zero without a problem. Just have to make sure the tension screw that holds the lever on is adjusted so that when the lever closes it latches tight. It is a one time set and forget adjustment.

Go for it !

:super:

Edited by jacksmad1

I did not like the side rail type mounts on the 308 semed to flex to much for long range stuff. So I went with dph beryl rail. solid as a rock.

Same here.

The UTG mount is a fine mount (I ran one for years with a red dot). However, when I put a side mount and scope on my 308, there was a fair amount of flex. I think the rivets holding my side rail aren't that tight. That or I was just flexing the receiver. I'm not sure it even mattered, as far as accuracy goes. It could very well return to the same spot every time, but it bugged me that I could get ~ 1/4 " of lateral flex without even pushing all that hard.

But plenty of people have had very good results with it, so I think it's as good as any side mount.

The UTG its self flexes...

Throw a POSP on the gun and see if it flexes, it doesn't.

I have one of those UTG things laying around, I thought it was one of those airsoft things that get remarketed to the real firearms market.

Sits too low to use irons, sits too high to get a scope mounted comfortably, and flexes like crazy. Sure, it'll hold zero if your rings will, it just feels like crap and the extra rail on the side is VERY annoying when you sling the rifle.

The UTG its self flexes...

It is aluminum, and will have SOME flex. However, so is the TWS Dogleg. You don't hear people knocking the Dogleg as being flimsy. I think that's partially a function of price. The aluminum also makes it lighter than steel. I think it's a good deal for the price, as long as your side rail is sound. I agree that the side rail is obtrusive and ugly as hell though. I put a light on mine.

The side mount I was complaining about was actually not a UTG mount, but the KVAR mount. I'm pretty sure the flex I got from my 308 was coming from where the rail mounts to the receiver itself, not the mount (or possibly a little of both). Even with the locking lever tightened down all the way to the point where it was hard to close, the whole thing would still flex. A 3x9 scope can act as a pretty good lever for someone who wants to push on it and try to get it to move. Still, I'm not even sure if this would affect a zero, but it bugged me too much to find out.

Sits too low to use irons, sits too high to get a scope mounted comfortably, and flexes like crazy. Sure, it'll hold zero if your rings will, it just feels like crap and the extra rail on the side is VERY annoying when you sling the rifle.

Also sits just high enough to get the dust cover and bolt carrier out of the rifle without removing your scope. You are kind of limited on how low you can mount a scope on an AK by the rear sight block anyway. You can put the objective lens in front of the RSB and get around this somewhat, but then it'll hit the RSB when you slide the rail off to the rear to clean.

This necessitates either:

1. mounting the scope higher;

2. mounting the scope farther back;

3. buying a scope that is shorter or with a smaller objective lens; or

4. removing your scope from the rail (with quick detach rings or slow detach rings) before removing the mount from the receiver.

Not having to remove your scope for cleaning removes this headache.

• Like 1

The dph beryl style rail solves all the issues and you still have the iron sites if you get see thru rings or remove the rail a little expencive compared to some of the side rail mounts but for me it was the best I could find besides the krebs. I havent herd much about the texas dog leg. did not like that one cause you lose irons if it fails. But I like the rear peep. I have a bpo2 beloruse maby I will throw it on the s12. I though of chopping it for a side laser mount or something.