URGENT: Drilling and pinning new FSB

Got an urgent question for you guys. The reason it is urgent? I have a range date with a young lady tomorrow at 1:00 PM. So, less than 24 hours. It's spring break, so, time is limited.

I slid a new 74-style front sight block on my Saiga 7.62x39. I also installed a muzzle brake on it. The FSB itself is on pretty tight, and is not easy to move. However, knowing how the AK-74 type brakes work, I wouldn't want the thing getting pushed off from the gases vented through the brake towards the front of brake.

So basically, I need to drill and pin the FSB onto the barrel, just like the old one was. I have a hand-held drill; no drill press. I don't think keeping the thing straight will be hard. How do I put this on correctly? What size bit should I use? Basically, I need a step-by-step.

Of course, if you guys believe that I'm overreacting to the possibility of it flying off, please tell me so. Can it be fired safely with the brake screwed on if the FSB isn't pinned on? If so, I'd rather not drill into the barrel and FSB right now.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I wouldn't use it with the brake without pinning it. You could always run it without the brake, although this lady may not be so impressed then. :haha:

Either way, to answer your question, I always just use 1/8th inch cobalt bits and 1/8th inch roll pins. I don't know what the correct size is, but 1/8th inch is really close, just slightly larger, and easy to find. Depending on how secure you can hold the rifle, the hand drill might be an okay option, but I would definitely use a drill press. I've never done it with a hand drill. If the sight block was used, and already has holes from a previous installation, I would be much more confident in the hand drill than without them.

I wouldn't use it with the brake without pinning it. You could always run it without the brake, although this lady may not be so impressed then. :haha:

Either way, to answer your question, I always just use 1/8th inch cobalt bits and 1/8th inch roll pins. I don't know what the correct size is, but 1/8th inch is really close, just slightly larger, and easy to find. Depending on how secure you can hold the rifle, the hand drill might be an okay option, but I would definitely use a drill press. I've never done it with a hand drill. If the sight block was used, and already has holes from a previous installation, I would be much more confident in the hand drill than without them.

Exactly where should I drill? I mean, obviously, you have to at least hit the barrel, but I don't want to hit the barrel so high that it goes through the barrel wall and into the rifling.

Got an urgent question for you guys. The reason it is urgent? I have a range date with a young lady tomorrow at 1:00 PM. So, less than 24 hours. It's spring break, so, time is limited.

I slid a new 74-style front sight block on my Saiga 7.62x39. I also installed a muzzle brake on it. The FSB itself is on pretty tight, and is not easy to move. However, knowing how the AK-74 type brakes work, I wouldn't want the thing getting pushed off from the gases vented through the brake towards the front of brake.

So basically, I need to drill and pin the FSB onto the barrel, just like the old one was. I have a hand-held drill; no drill press. I don't think keeping the thing straight will be hard. How do I put this on correctly? What size bit should I use? Basically, I need a step-by-step.

Of course, if you guys believe that I'm overreacting to the possibility of it flying off, please tell me so. Can it be fired safely with the brake screwed on if the FSB isn't pinned on? If so, I'd rather not drill into the barrel and FSB right now.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Heres two good threads with lots of info regarding your FSB:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/55476-new-fsb-and-gas-block/page__view__findpost__p__522207__fromsearch__1

And

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/57088-new-24x15-fsbneed-help/page__view__findpost__p__539069__fromsearch__1

Good luck.

Edited by AZG

You should get a bench top drill press (under 4100), and the proper sized end mill and pins. A drill will walk and may perforate the barrel. An end mill will cut slower and will not walk off like a drill bit.

You can shoot it without the brake if it's not pinned. Don't try to shoot it with the brake on until you pin it. Trust me....the gas will blow the fsb/brake off and you'll have to have the rangemaster retrieve it from the backstop. Or so I've been told :D

I got mine sighted-in without the brake installed and then used a marker to mark all 4 pin holes on the barrel. I then took off the fsb and used a file to cut a line on the barrel where each pin would go. I put the fsb back on and THEN used the drill to finish the pin slots off. I found this easier to drill since I had already started the cut with the file.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1