Saiga 308s my Issues

I've been shopping for a semi auto 308 for the last year. I'm not in a hurry and to be honest in my case its more of a luxury item then a need. Anyways I'm always coming back to the saiga. At it core its a cheap reliable accurate .308. In my case I'm not overly concerned with the AK type conversions. Issue for me has always been magazines. Factory mags are eight rounds with a tinker option to ten. I'd love to find a twenty round option with no tinker factor and factory quality. So am I really looking at a weapon platform I'll never be happy with? Why has it been so difficult to manufacture 20 round mags for these? Thanks for any input.

A forum member makes 20 rnd metal mags here, also the new FBMG owners, I think Unita have real nice 20 rounders,..

You won't find a better deal than this

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/64600-wts-saiga-308-w21-bbl-3-mags-threaded-braked/page__pid__631149#entry631149

for a Saiga .308, already converted, with a threaded BBL,...

If you not going to convert the Saiga you are better off with a M1A if money is available or a "good" FAL for a bit less. I just cannot recommend the factory setup to anyone.

Once you start really using 20rd mags in 308 you begin to look at 10 and 15 much more favorably. There are currently three makers of mags for the 308 I am aware of Cspec, Surefire, and I think FB still does that. The Surefire are ok, cs's are good and never used the FB mags. Mags run from about $40-50.

If you do go with the 308 Saiga, just remember that you can't run "hi cap" mags without bringing the foreign parts count to 10 or less. That's a bit tougher without changing the trigger group (3) and stock (1). It can be done, but why? The 308 has the absolute worst trigger of any Saiga, hands down. If you plan to shoot it much, do yourself a favor and convert it.

If you want compliance with a stock saiga .308 with 20 round mags you only need to lose one imported part. (stock rifle=14 parts, magazine=3 of those 14 parts, so 14-3=11)

So you could just change the front stock for a USA made one to get to 10 parts. Pretty darn simple.

And yes the stock trigger on the .308 is annoying.

website for the metal mags is www.csspecs.com