Brand new Saiga; couple questions

Hello,

Just joined the Saiga club; purchased a Red Jacket converted 12g from Atlantic Arms, and I have a couple questions.

1) The gas setting (1/2) kind of confuses me. As RJF faq says, there is a detent at the 7:00 position, that allows the tube to rotate. There is a "1" on one side, and a "2" on the other, but neither one is marked as the "setting". If I rotate the tube right, it gets tighter and eventually stops rotating (screwed in all the way I assume). If I rotate the tube left, it loosens. As I understand it, the "1" setting is where I should try first, and if a particularly light round won't cycle, then go to "2". But not sure what is "1" and "2".

2) What is the cleaning procedure for this gun? Is it the same as the standard 7.62 AK (take off dustcover, pull out/lube BCG and scrub out the barrels and gas tubes, lubricate moving parts and metal contact surfaces) or is there anything additional I need to do?

3) Gun came w/ a standard Russian-styled field cleaning kit (small metal tube) and cleaning rod. Unlike my regular AK though, I'm not seeing a place/guides under the barrel for the rod (maybe I'm missing it) and my stock (folding ACE) doesn't have the place for the clean kit. Where do people keep these (or just leave them at home) on the gun?

Thanks in advance.

The pin you push down to adjust should be by the # of the setting that you want. Twist it all the way in then untwist it till you get to the desired setting.

Try to search this site for cleaning instructions, you will just have to leave the cleaning kit at home.

Edited by King of the Hill

The pin you push down to adjust should be by the # of the setting that you want. Twist it all the way in then untwist it till you get to the desired setting.

Try to search this site for cleaning instructions, you will just have to leave the cleaning kit at home.

I'll double-check when I get home, but if I remember last night, the "1" and "2" are at the 3 and 9 o-clock positions when the tube clicks/locks. I guess 9 o'clock is pretty close to 7 o'clock. I'll have to see which number gets to that position when I screw in fully, then begin to unscrew.

Thanks for the replies.