Looks ok for a basic ( and I do mean BASIC ) conversion, though, just a heads up... his prices are all listed + parts. that T1 conversion is gonna end up running ya closer to double his listed price, time its all said and done, meh, you'd prolly have more fun and just as good a job done doing it yourself.

IF you have no tools whatsoever, and happon to live close enough to him to drop it off on the way to work... maby.. but for the same cost as a T1 conversion, I'd get a dremel, punches, and set of allen wrenches and do my own, at least you'll have the tools when your done.

Watch the CSS vids, ANYONE can do a basic conversion and the only reason I could justify not buying tools to do my own and instead paying someone to do my conversion is if the gun wouldn't run prior to conversion and you needed much more elaberate work done ( and even at that, if it won't run and isn't converted, get warrenty work done first )

Please understand, I'm saying NOTHING bad about HIM nor anyone else on this forum that does this work professionally... BUT also understand, when you send a gun to Tromix, or Lonestar, or Red Jacket... what you get back is FAR from a stock conversion... this guy is doing what you could do in an hour at your kitchen table with 50 bucks worth of parts and a 25.00 pawn shop box of tools....

just my 0.02

Waylon

I've done my own conversion, I was looking for someone locall who could properly profile a hamme, so I wouldn't have to send the part off. I would much rather use Pauly or cobra but it would be nice to be able to get it all done in a day. I shutter on sending parts out on a gun where there are so few parts.

I've done my own conversion, I was looking for someone locall who could properly profile a hamme, so I wouldn't have to send the part off. I would much rather use Pauly or cobra but it would be nice to be able to get it all done in a day. I shutter on sending parts out on a gun where there are so few parts.

Hamme not probleme, send it to Pauly if it gets lost, I'll send you my OEM hammer if thats what your referring to.

I've seen his ads on Texas Gun trader and don't get the warm fuzzys from him.

If you want a properly profiled hammer and keep your business in Texas, contact Keith at TAC 47.

Keith has been doing Saiga conversions much longer then most.

He did mine for and it works great. Price was also very good.

Contact him about just buying a re-profiled hammer, and make it a quick swap out.

My thought process kinda drifted on my hammer statement. I was thinking if I were to send out the hammer to mentioned business members I might as well send the while thing ie, bolt, carrier, hammer etc. Didn't wanna lose those precious parts. I didnt know Tac 47 was out of Texas. Thx for the replies. Pls excuse my tying errors fat fingers and iPhone don't mix.

Edited by incognito485

My thought process kinda drifted on my hammer statement. I was thinking if I were to send out the hammer to mentioned business members I might as well send the while thing ie, bolt, carrier, hammer etc. Didn't wanna lose those precious parts. I didnt know Tac 47 was out of Texas. Thx for the replies. Pls excuse my tying errors fat fingers and iPhone don't mix.

If you want the whole deal done, definitely don't let JBI do it. He may be good for a basic conversion (as most of us are) but the bolt carrier needs to be done by someone who loves Saigas. Keith does great work.

He's done work for me on several rifles and I've been very pleased. I have built several AKs, including my SBR Krink, which I love, but he is better than me in every aspect from the great riveting to finishing. He built my AK-105, which had a virgin barrel from KVAR. I can't do the headspacing, drilling for the barrel pin, rear sight block, front sight block etc. Everything was perfectly aligned, and he did it exactly as I asked.

I prefer to do things myself, but once I run out of talent, it goes to JBI. Aside from my praise for his work, Jim is an honest guy. I do not get the slightest hint of shadiness from him.

If I was to get the whole shabang done it would definately be Cobra or Paulie. But, my gun ran flawlessly with all ammo and loads prior to conversion. The action was extremely smooth. Post conversion it still runs well, but it will occasionally have issues with certain ammo, and I know it can be better. So what has changed in my opinion that causes the issue? The hammer. Obviously the hammer is creating some drag on the bolt, not much but it is, you can see it and feel it. Now it still shoots pretty well, but for Federal buck shot I have to use setting #4, and for Federal bird shot I have to use setting #5 or wide open to shoot reliably with the MD Arms V Plug. I don't have a caliper, but I have a 4 port gun that I can push a paper clip through all ports with no problem. So, I would like to try and see how a profiled hammer would work, but I really like the idea of polish job for the moving parts. I'm thinking that the hammer job will fix the problem, but hey I'm no professional. Bolster thanks for the input on JBI, I didn't wanna walk into an Elite Firearms type of business, that would suck.

Hadn't been on the board in a long long while and came upon this thread. Honestly I met Jim through another board and with the exception of a Polish underfolder I built myself he's done every one of my builds and I've always been satisfied. His work is warranted and if you have a issue he'll always fix it. As far as a Saiga built goes it's really just what you want. Most weapons I've seen are usually partial conversions.You can convert it yourself and I do recommend trying it at least once but I will say if you send JBI Armory your work you are dealing with a professional and will be happy with the results.

Btw comparing anyone to Elite Firearms is a insult...... :haha: Although I do wish someone else was doing 7.62 Galils.

Here is a few of the rifles he's built for me.

Egyptian Maadi

DSCN2180.jpg

fullsize.jpg

1970 Russian Tula mismatch

Saigamantula3.jpg

Russianstuff.jpg

Edited by saigaman972

What we have here is CLEARLY a man who was talking out of his ass. Haveing had no direct contact with Mr Roberts and only briefly viewing his websight my comments were uneducated at best and harmful at worst. I apologise to Mr. Roberts individually and the forum community collectivly if anything I said in my prior post was disrespectful.

I do have a great deal of respect for those who are more talented than myself which sadly is almost everyone LOL. I myself am no great hand at gunsmithing, my own basic conversion will be passable, but nothing more and I fully intend to seek the help of professionals for the more complicated and delicate work such as bolt reprofileing/polishing, welding on any part of a firearm, and anything that requires more effort or knowledge than what is needed to preform the most basic of basic conversions.

That being said, I still think anyone can do a " basic " conversion, and indeed think everyone SHOULD do their own BASIC conversion if for no other reason than to better learn the firearm.

I apologise if I unknowingly attempted to sound more qualified to comment on the quality of another mans work than I truely am. In truth, I know very little, but hope to learn more.... Thats why I am here, and thats why I did my own conversion.

Trying to convay that was the intent of my origional comments in this thread... not to talk down another mans work.

Thanks

Waylon

• Like 1

Looks like you do some nice work. My comment about warm fuzzies is what I got from your ad on Texas Gun Trader.

There are more then a few johnny come latelys trying to make a buck off Saigas right now. One of them is Dimitri who is located in Spring,Tx, and does some shody conversions, but is a hell of a salesmen. Constantly runs ads on Gunbroker, and is always at all the local gunshows. Sells the hell out of converted Saigas at premium prices, and still uses hole plugs and spay paint.

I apologize to JBI for coming to a opinion based on his ad on TGT

What we have here is CLEARLY a man who was talking out of his ass. Haveing had no direct contact with Mr Roberts and only briefly viewing his websight my comments were uneducated at best and harmful at worst. I apologise to Mr. Roberts individually and the forum community collectivly if anything I said in my prior post was disrespectful.

I do have a great deal of respect for those who are more talented than myself which sadly is almost everyone LOL. I myself am no great hand at gunsmithing, my own basic conversion will be passable, but nothing more and I fully intend to seek the help of professionals for the more complicated and delicate work such as bolt reprofileing/polishing, welding on any part of a firearm, and anything that requires more effort or knowledge than what is needed to preform the most basic of basic conversions.

That being said, I still think anyone can do a " basic " conversion, and indeed think everyone SHOULD do their own BASIC conversion if for no other reason than to better learn the firearm.

I apologise if I unknowingly attempted to sound more qualified to comment on the quality of another mans work than I truely am. In truth, I know very little, but hope to learn more.... Thats why I am here, and thats why I did my own conversion.

Trying to convay that was the intent of my origional comments in this thread... not to talk down another mans work.

Thanks

Waylon

Waylon,

I do agree with you I recommend that most guys do a basic conversion as well. Thank you for the kind words.

Jim

Edited by Jroberts1968

A couple of pics of the AK-105 he did for me.

AK105Black1.jpg

AK105Black2.jpg

Wow, that's amazing.

I wonder if it's possible to install that gas block on a 308?

Yes this can be installed on a 308 with re profile of the BBL. I had to do the same thing on the PSL Scout. The barrel must be removed and stripped then put on a lathe or you can use DanZang's barrel tools to do the job but if I recall you would need two of them to step it down to the proper dia. I may be wrong but the lathe time is worth it.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon everyone - This is my first post on the forum, and I wanted to take this time to tell everyone that I am a very pleased customer of Jim Roberts. I just arrived back to Kuwait, but recently while in Texas I purchased from JBI armory a Saiga. I had been looking for a nicely done converted Saiga and had a limited window in which to purchase. I found exactly what I was looking for and contacted Jim. He was very courtious and knowledgable, answering all my questions. While we were working out the transfer from him to my FFL in SA, he kept me appraised of all the details, to include a few detailed pictures of the work he had done. When I took delivery of the weapon, I have to say I was very, very pleased. Guys - He does great work! while I only got chance to fire a total of 12 rounds and clean, place back in storage before departing, it functioned flawlessly. It was exactly what I was looking for and will deffinately consider Jim and JBI Armory for future purchases. (Am going to be looking for the AK 47 and 74) when I return. I realize its tough to be in this type of business, with so many other options and companies, however, I just wanted to let everyone know about my experince by joining this forum and to thank Jim for a job well done on my Saiga. Now I have alot reading to catchup on in this forum;-) regards from Kuwait. Larry

• 4 weeks later...