Scherer muzzle brake adapter

I cut the shroud on my barrel and NO threads. While looking for other stuff, I came across a Scherer muzzle brake adapter. From what I can tell, It goes over the end of your barrel and tightens down with 4screws. If you can be sure of straightness, drill a little divot for the screws to sit in, and locktite it in, I cant see why it wouldnt work. The thing is only 6 dollars! Although on the reviews there were a couple guys who had almost deadly accidents using them, I cant be sure it they knew what they were doing installing it and how much time was taken to make sure it was rock solid and straight.

post-31894-0-57916600-1305218138_thumb.jpg

I cut the shroud on my barrel and NO threads. While looking for other stuff, I came across a Scherer muzzle brake adapter. From what I can tell, It goes over the end of your barrel and tightens down with 4screws. If you can be sure of straightness, drill a little divot for the screws to sit in, and locktite it in, I cant see why it wouldnt work. The thing is only 6 dollars! Although on the reviews there were a couple guys who had almost deadly accidents using them, I cant be sure it they knew what they were doing installing it and how much time was taken to make sure it was rock solid and straight.

If it were me I would just thread the barrel and resell the tools to someone else when done with them. You wouldn't be out much money in the end and would have better results.

• Like 3

I did some research on these and I've heard nothing but bad. I was afraid to cut my barrel shroud then I just went for broke. It is very easy with a pipe cutter and I bought the threading kit from DPH Arms and sold it already.

Edited by jadam13

...Although on the reviews there were a couple guys who had almost deadly accidents using them...

I think you answered your own question there.

You'd be much better off to just leave your barrel as-is, and use no muzzle device, than to attach this piece of shit and possibly cause a lot of damage to both your rifle and yourself.

I recommend threading the barrel properly now that you've cut back the shroud. ;)

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Yea, I kinda thought it was a piece of shit. I just bought all my threading tools and a phantom flash hider. Ill do it the right way and im sure it will turn out better in the end.

• Like 1

I did some research on these and I've heard nothing but bad. I was afraid to cut my barrel shroud then I just went for broke. It is very easy with a pipe cutter and I bought the threading kit from DPH Arms and sold it already.

Its nice to know that someone will buy them and I wont have to lose much money. I guess its like taking it to a smith and paying 15 bucks to have your barrel threaded. And unless hes your uncle, you arent getting it for that cheap.

• 2 years later...

I wanted to say I really enjoyed all the funny comments, however this is the same adapter I have fired over 2000 rds with on my 762. I don't use lock tite I used http://www.jbweld.com for a job that I do not plan on removing. Make your drill marks on the barrell, clean it up, mix the weld and add as much as you need. Wipe it off when the adapter is on in the correct possition. Cure for two days and send off as much ammo as you can afford down range.  If and when I decide to remove it Im sure I can find one of many nice tools to cleanly remove it.  With a simple bushnell red dot I get 9 of 10rd hits at 120yrds every time. Easy and no barrel modes other than remove the end tip layer. Time spent for the adapter...  5 hrs for a 1st timer. Cost ... for the adapter and ak74 brake 40$. I don't think I have ever seen any thread where my mounting method has ever failed. If so I am happy to view it.

§eaRaider