AK 74 Failure to feed Help

A friend has an AK 74 which is a Center fire system rifle on a Nodak receiver (about 300rds fired), at least one to two times each 60 rds (2x 30rd magazines) it has a failure to feed, not first or last round either. The bolt is not fully into battery and you can see the base of the round, it is on top of the extractor/bolt. Several others have the same rifle with no problem.

Tried different magazines which have proved reliable in another rifle 2000+ rds, and same thing happened. Checked the magazine guide for burr, even polished it up a bit. Magazine does not have much play, seems to be latched up tight. Still has failure to feed, same as before round on top of extractor. Any ideas I am stumped??

You mean it's chambered but the extractor claw isn't gripping the base of the round, so the bolt is out of battery?

I'd say shoot it a bit more and see if the problem goes away. Oil the extractor up good, make sure it's not sticky. But I bet with a little wear on the extractor and/or spring it'll run fine.

I would tear the bolt completely apart, make sure there's no cosmoline (or whatever they ship Saigas in) gunking up the extractor, and hit the sides of the extractor (and the bolt where the extractor rides) with a little crocus cloth to make sure there aren't any burrs causing problems. Put it back together carefully, since the pin that holds the extractor in the bolt is a very tight fit and can be easy to bend. Use a spare 2x4 as the block you're beating the bolt into.

Of, and take a chamber brush to the rifle, just to make sure. I know ARs shit where they eat, but I have seen an AR with a chamber so fouled with gunk that a round got stuck about half-way into the chamber (like yours). Had to beat on the charging handle to get the round out, and a brass chamber brush came out black from all the carbon buildup!

Thanks for the replies, the bolt has been completely cleaned and lubricated and checked for burr with a hand loop magnifier. We also did a light polish around the bolt face, still about one or two every 60 rounds jumps up on to of the extractor. I would think that the failure to feed the case would happen more often if there was some obstruction. I will break it down and try all the suggestions once again.

Maybe buff the bullet guide a little more?

it does sound like a bullet guide issue, from what you are describing....i dont know about buffing it, or if perhaps it is not properly shaped, or too long, too short, etc.

definately sounds like a likely cause and should be looked at.