Duracoat over stock parkerizing...

Hey guys,

Did some research andI believe I discovered that the Saiga has a black paint finish over pakerizing (that's the factory finish). So I followed a tip and picked up some Acetone AND Denatured Alcohol (both will "strip" the paint of a Saiga, but leave the original Parkerizing).

So my observation is that it does seem to be true (am I imagining this?). There is a blackish grey finish under the very thin layer of black "paint" (which seemed to come off quite easily with either the Acetone OR the Denatured Alcohol).

Can anyone confirm this? Have you done this sort of stripping (and then refinishing/painting with Duracoat)?

Nailbomb... disagree after stripping the paint. The "paint" is somewhat like a stain (very thin and black - like ink. The park remained on the reciever after stripping. It did don't strip down to bare metal... Of note: Even simple acetone and denatured alcohol took of some/most (not all) of the black color - but left the park underneath.

sv6sns.jpg

(this is what it should look like just prior to applying Duracoat)

folowing the Duracoat instructions for prep, mix, and application I applied approx. 36 ml of Combat Black...

(here is a sample o the finished product)

2yl19ud.jpg