Why do some 12s with the same manufacture ar-type tube look like they have a slight downward angle and some look to be straight inline with the barrel? Am I just seeing things or is it a manufacturing variance? Looking at the Vltor and EMA/CAA.

KKAHN

You're not imaging it... many stocks don't take into account the angles of the AK platform, and this can make them look "off" compared to the gun. I suppose that's my only peeve - I cant dig stocks on an AK that mess with the angles. I'm picky like that when it comes to angles and lines.

Functionality wise, a lot of folks say it doesn't make a difference. I wouldn't know about that since I can't get past the looks, but most folks seem to be happy with them.

If you look at an AK receiver, you will see that the top is parallel with the bore, and the bottom slopes down toward the back. If you attach your stock to follow the bottom of the receiver, your stock would continue this downward angle. This is how the purists want it to look, like Tromix, who welds on a back plate taking into account the angle necessary to do that. But the rear trunnion adapter plates that you can buy set the angle so that the stock follows the top of the receiver, which puts the stock in line with the barrel.

Here is my very good post on the subject when it was discussed previously

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/16249-stock-angle-on-conversions/page__view__findpost__p__136989

See post #3

as far as i know any stock designed to work with the tang on the back of the reciever is going to have that 3 degree or somthing like that downward angle . css sells internal reciever blocks that compensate for that angle allowing the buffer tube to run parallel with the barrel . which is much better imo especially if youre going to mount a top rail with optics .