Iron Sights.....Thinking outside the box.

I have been looking for a way to improve the iron sights on my 16in 223. I have a removable side mount scope mount for it when I want to reach out and touch something but I love using irons. And Im not a big fan of the short radius sights my rifle came with. I mainly use my rifle for plinking, shooting targets, varmit hunting, basically its my truck gun. I have looked at Krebs, Tech Sights, Mojo, and others. I was even thinking about getting a dog leg rail to go over the dust cover and mount some irons on it......but what about something like this?

http://www.marblearms.com/improvedPeepTang.html

The adjustable height would make it easy to find one that lined up perfectly. I have to put a fixed stock on my Saiga anyway b/c Im taking it to NY with me. So I could use one of the rear tang screws to attach the front and then put a threaded insert in the stock for the rear screw. If I did it right I could even leave my origanal rear sight on and use the peep for longer distance. The sights fold down to stay out of the way. They are rugged and hold zero. Hell they have been used since Winchestor came out with a lever action.

What do you guys think? I wont be back home till November to pick up my rifle and I have plenty time here in Afghani Land to think about it.

First of all... If you want to "reach out and touch something"... You got the wrong caliber. I should think you're combat experience is proving that true to you right now though.

Get a .308.

If I want to shoot past 300yds I will use my 270 win. 300yds and in, 223 works just fine for me. Its a good front seat of the pickup driving around gun. I am just looking for some different options.

As far as my combat experience goes, I spend all day, everyday out on the flight line fixing helicopters. Im not an infantry guy. I keep these acft patched up, so our boys can go out there and do bad things to bad people.

I guess I am just looking for something new and different.

If I want to shoot past 300yds I will use my 270 win. 300yds and in, 223 works just fine for me. Its a good front seat of the pickup driving around gun. I am just looking for some different options.

As far as my combat experience goes, I spend all day, everyday out on the flight line fixing helicopters. Im not an infantry guy. I keep these acft patched up, so our boys can go out there and do bad things to bad people.

I guess I am just looking for something new and different.

First of all- Thanks for keeping the eyes in the sky up and at 'em. Keep it up!

Second- sounds like you're tracking after all... I was just cornfused about the "reaching out" part... Inside 300 you should OWN with your .223!

Incidentally- It's a GREAT truck gun! Enjoy it!

Best coyote/any other varmit that I want to take out gun I have ever bought. Used it up in Alaska for wolf, coyote, and one red fox. I love it. Plus and -50 I dont have to worry about my bolt freezing and not being able to pull the action back. 65 grain soft points will do a number on just about anything.