Preban/Undated polymer 7.62x39 magazines?

I've got a random question which I haven't found much info on, so bear with me if it's already been asked.

I'm trying to make my 7.62x39 Saiga into a spot on (sans folding stock) 103 clone, however, the surplus preban steel mags I can get here in NY don't exactly fit with the whole AK-103 look. The only polymer 7.62x39 magazines I've been able to find that look anything close are the Bulgarian bullet magazines. Not only have I heard they apparently suck, but I can't find a dealer who'll sell them to me being in NY with our assault weapons ban. (I'm pretty sure they were made before 1994, and they're undated anyway.) Does anyone know of any other polymer, Russian style 7.62x39 mags I could get my hands on? They'd need to be preban or undated. Thanks.

Ive been seeing multiple 4sale listings for the 762x39 - AK103 (I think?) Izhmash black poly 30rd mags on another AKcentric website. No idea how they are classified re; ban, etc.

Prices have been from $55 to $75 each

Best of luck

Harv

Ive been seeing multiple 4sale listings for the 762x39 - AK103 (I think?) Izhmash black poly 30rd mags on another AKcentric website. No idea how they are classified re; ban, etc.

Prices have been from $55 to $75 each

Best of luck

Harv

Thanks, I don't think those Izhmash mags would be acceptable in a ban state like mine though. Thanks for the info though!

I'm fairly sure the Bulgarian magazines with the cartridge images on the sides are modern production.

Damn, I thought that they were pre 94 cause I remember reading that they were produced for only one year or something.

As far as I know, all the milsurp black poly 7.62 mags will be post-94; bakelite and/or metal was common until pretty recently. The Russian 100-series with ribbing is the correct mag. You'll occasionally see a smooth sided Izzy/Saiga 30-rounder for sale, and very rarely a Polish or Bulgarian smooth-sided poly.

Maybe another member can confirm if production dates on any of these predated 94?

Polish military 30rd polymer mags look pretty damn close to the Izzy smooth sided mags. I recently purchased 2 of them for $55.00 shipped on another forum. You can find the newer commercial quality Polish polymers for a little cheaper. The military magazines have metal lugs and only say "7.62x39" at the top with a number at the bottom. The commercial magazines lack the metal reinforcements and say "7.62x39" at the top, with a (11) under it and "Radom Poland". Probably the closest you'll get in looks without spending a lot more for the real thing.

Edit: The magazines are also not marked with a production year.

I don't know the exact laws for ban states, but can you legally modify a 30 rounder to hold less and it still be legal since it's not pre-ban, simply for appearance? Or is a non-pre-ban high-cap magazine body a violation in itself? There are probably many people who would be willing to ship them disassembled as "rebuild kits" to NY.

Commercial (military are identical in appearance, minus the (11) and "Radom Poland" markings):

mak47ps.jpg

Edited by KC913

I don't know the exact laws for ban states, but can you legally modify a 30 rounder to hold less and it still be legal since it's not pre-ban, simply for appearance? Or is a non-pre-ban high-cap magazine body a violation in itself? There are probably many people who would be willing to ship them disassembled as "rebuild kits" to NY.

You can modify them, but it has to be a permanent modification, like welding a block in to keep the round count at 10 rounds. If they are undated or predating the ban I can order them with as high of a round count as I want, but only if the seller is willing to ship them here... Alot of sellers won't ship magazines even if they are pre ban dated. I hope 44mag.com gets some undated poly 7.62 mags in, because they're pretty good about sending me stuff.

I really appreciate everyones assistance thus far.

Edited by Mittelmorder

I've got a random question which I haven't found much info on, so bear with me if it's already been asked.

I'm trying to make my 7.62x39 Saiga into a spot on (sans folding stock) 103 clone, however, the surplus preban steel mags I can get here in NY don't exactly fit with the whole AK-103 look. The only polymer 7.62x39 magazines I've been able to find that look anything close are the Bulgarian bullet magazines. Not only have I heard they apparently suck, but I can't find a dealer who'll sell them to me being in NY with our assault weapons ban. (I'm pretty sure they were made before 1994, and they're undated anyway.) Does anyone know of any other polymer, Russian style 7.62x39 mags I could get my hands on? They'd need to be preban or undated. Thanks.

Solar tactical has ribbed Izzy 103 30 round rebuild kits, but their $75 each...plus shipping