K-Var FS/GB combo on my .223?

I'm wondering if it will fit properly without too much work. I have a pretty limited amount of tools at my disposal, but I can be pretty crafty with the ones I have. The actual description from the sight:

"Front sight block / gas block combination assembly, for compact rifles AK-100 series rifles (AK-102, AK-104, and AK-105). This is a genuine original Russian made part. Comes complete with the sight post, and all springs. This is designed to be used with part AK-134R, in order to achieve the correct look with the cutouts on the flash hider."

I have no desire to use the flash hider or cut my barrel down (yay NY) so I'd probably have to cut off the threads before installation. I'm guessing with it being Russian, and my rifle obviously being Russian the angle should be correct. I can always add a shim to the barrel if it is too thin, but I really don't have the ability to turn it down at all if it is too big. I have no clue what width my barrel is either.

I'm wondering if it would be too big of a hassle and I should just get the Ace (rigid enough?) or the Bolton block from Venom (sadly only windage adjustable unles you use a file) because either of those would be a lot easier to do, but I'm not sure I'd get the function I'm after.

I'm wondering if it will fit properly without too much work. I have a pretty limited amount of tools at my disposal, but I can be pretty crafty with the ones I have. The actual description from the sight:

"Front sight block / gas block combination assembly, for compact rifles AK-100 series rifles (AK-102, AK-104, and AK-105). This is a genuine original Russian made part. Comes complete with the sight post, and all springs. This is designed to be used with part AK-134R, in order to achieve the correct look with the cutouts on the flash hider."

I have no desire to use the flash hider or cut my barrel down (yay NY) so I'd probably have to cut off the threads before installation. I'm guessing with it being Russian, and my rifle obviously being Russian the angle should be correct. I can always add a shim to the barrel if it is too thin, but I really don't have the ability to turn it down at all if it is too big. I have no clue what width my barrel is either.

I'm wondering if it would be too big of a hassle and I should just get the Ace (rigid enough?) or the Bolton block from Venom (sadly only windage adjustable unles you use a file) because either of those would be a lot easier to do, but I'm not sure I'd get the function I'm after.

This is pretty much a crapshoot unless you know what the inside diameter of the parts are prior to buying. You will also need measurements on your barrel as well right in front of the GB and right behind the FSB. Do you have a caliper?

This is a copy / paste of a PM I sent e fellow member this morning actually..... He was asking me if the AK-74 FSB and GB would go on the Saiga .223 without mods. They will on a 5.45, but the .223 has a larger diam bbl.

Ok man I just took these pics and measurements for ya. Hope these help.

post-1293-0-00411500-1308800063_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-36556900-1308800083_thumb.jpg

I did find a pretty significant variance between the three 5.45's I measured though (not surprising with AKs...). They are all 2009 models, but have slightly different thicknesses where the GB and FSB OD's are.

The .223 is an '04 model and measures .6265" at the GB..... and .5905" at the FSB (pics didn't come out of the FSB but here is the GB)

post-1293-0-30087800-1308800102_thumb.jpg

The 5.45 I converted measures .5865" at the GB.... and .572" at the FSB

post-1293-0-08100500-1308800117_thumb.jpg post-1293-0-38130400-1308800130_thumb.jpg

Stock unconverted 5.45 #1 measured .5865" at GB and .5705" at FSB....#2 was .587 at GB and .569" at FSB

post-1293-0-35648200-1308800143_thumb.jpg post-1293-0-78259500-1308800155_thumb.jpg

The AK-74 FSB and GB I bought pressed on without any mods to bbl or parts. I'm guessing you might need to do a little work with a dremel and sanding drum for the .556 unless you have access to a mill or a drill press and that size bits.

Pic of stock unconverted 5.45 bbl with factory cuts for lower HG retainer.

post-1293-0-10930000-1308800172_thumb.jpg

This is a copy / paste of a PM I sent e fellow member this morning actually..... He was asking me if the AK-74 FSB and GB would go on the Saiga .223 without mods. They will on a 5.45, but the .223 has a larger diam bbl.

I was the member asking the Shannon about the diameter of the .223 barrel. Here is my response with the inside diameter measurements of the Bulgarian FSB / GB I have. I don't know if this exactly the same as what KVAR is selling since they claim their parts are Russian.

Here is my reply....

Thanks this helps me out a LOT! It looks like I will need to remove to material from the inside diameter of the GB and FSB in order for it to fit on a Saiga 223 barrel. I have heard that the .223 barrels were a tad larger but had no conclusive proof until now.

Your 223 GB = .6265"

Your 223 FSB = .5905"

My parts are from an AK74 parts kit from Apex, here is what they measure at the inner diameter:

My Bulgarian AK74 GB = .5885

My Bulgarian AK74 FSB = .567

post-20786-0-86916900-1308801109_thumb.jpg

post-20786-0-66691100-1308801123_thumb.jpg

After looking at your Saiga 5.45 measurements, it looks like the AK74 FSB / GB parts are a perfect fit for that, where on a .223 the parts will require modification to fit.

Maybe you'll add AK74 parts to a .223 one day and this will be helpful info. It has been for me!

Again, man I really appreciate you taking the time to help out a stranger. :super: :super:

Edited by j_sunn
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. I just took a closer look at the flash hider that would go with it normally and it, and it is for 7.62. That should make it a bit easier, but I'm not seeing anyplace to pin it to the barrel on the pictures. The only possible place I'm seeing is on the top, and I really don't want to have to mess with that at all. Knowing my luck, I'd probably eat into the bore on accident or on the other (more likely) hand have the disk break and take out a finger/eye/etc while trying to make the cut out. I think I'll just go the Ace route and save my self some cash and work. I still need to find someone in my area who can legally put a brake on for me too. I loathe NY.

Thanks for the info guys. I just took a closer look at the flash hider that would go with it normally and it, and it is for 7.62. That should make it a bit easier, but I'm not seeing anyplace to pin it to the barrel on the pictures. The only possible place I'm seeing is on the top, and I really don't want to have to mess with that at all. Knowing my luck, I'd probably eat into the bore on accident or on the other (more likely) hand have the disk break and take out a finger/eye/etc while trying to make the cut out. I think I'll just go the Ace route and save my self some cash and work. I still need to find someone in my area who can legally put a brake on for me too. I loathe NY.

Seph,

I've been wrestling with this topic for quite some time. I've come to the conclusion that it would be easier for me to just buy the barrel assembly that comes with the gasblock and RSB and handguard retainer already attached. I would press out the barrel pin, back out the existing barrel assembly, and press in the new one. Going down this route, you'd need to find someone with a mill to drill out the barrel pin slot, the RSB pin slot and the gasblock pin slot. K-var makes a 4.75in bell-style muzzle brake (KR-107CR) that covers the remaining section of the 16in barrel. It's listed under their 922® parts. You would need to permanently affixed it, of course. This is what I'll mostly likely do once I have some disposable income.

This way, I have an extra .223 barrel laying around that I could cut down and re-port for my Krink if the powers that be decide to prevent the importation of cheap 5.45.

Hexus, That sounds like a fun project. However I don't see the brake you are referring to in the .922r section or any of the muzzle attachment sections. The closest thing I found was the KR-PBS5 dummy suppressor under the flash hider section. I would have to get a new hand guard if I decided to go that route as I've been using the MI Saiga sized quad rail. It looks like the gas block mounts further back too, so I'd need to swap out my piston and gas tube too. Over all, I'd be spending what would be IMO too much when I could buy and convert another Saiga for about the same price it would cost me to do all the work, and probably still have some left for a box or 2 of ammo.

Hexus, That sounds like a fun project. However I don't see the brake you are referring to in the .922r section or any of the muzzle attachment sections. The closest thing I found was the KR-PBS5 dummy suppressor under the flash hider section. I would have to get a new hand guard if I decided to go that route as I've been using the MI Saiga sized quad rail. It looks like the gas block mounts further back too, so I'd need to swap out my piston and gas tube too. Over all, I'd be spending what would be IMO too much when I could buy and convert another Saiga for about the same price it would cost me to do all the work, and probably still have some left for a box or 2 of ammo.

Seph,

Here it is: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16981

If you put that gasblock on, this will cover the exposed 4in of barrel sticking out past the GB.

Take a look at the other pictures they have of the muzzle break on an a rifle so you can get a feel for how it will look.

I've got the MI Quad rail too, it's good shit. I'm thinking of getting the replacement top part that fits a Burris FastFire II. It's not the Saiga model, I got the regular AK kind. I made my own home-brew bolt-on handguard retainer out of an actual AK lower hand-guard retainer and a black steel shaft collar from Fastenal. Works like a charm and looks pretty decent.

• 3 months later...