I filed my mag catch, maybe 1/32" too much. 7.62x39

I can say that thru my whole conversion that this is my only 'screw up', but its really not that bad, Im just a perfectionist. It seemed to take way longer than what most folks say it should take, to file my catch, for my steel mags. There is a 3/16 wobble front to back, the side to side is a non issue. I really dont think this will effect anything, Im sure every ak in africa has a 3/16 mag wobble, or more, and they work just fine. Im surprised that both of my saiga mags still snap in tightly, I wasnt sure that would be the case, but I can still use them both(factory and clear sgm).

What Im getting to is, Im kind of anal, and want it to be perfect. I will want to replace it in the future, with a normal ak mag catch, and I dont think I can use the pin thats in there now. Can someone point me in the direction where I can find a catch and pin that will work in my saiga x39.

I see that either side of the factory pin is riveted over. If I were to drill one side out and push thru, it would come apart. But when I put the new pin thru, with the new catch, how will it secure? I saw on youtube, a guy puting one in and it seemed to be just spring tension keeping it in. I dont think this should be too hard.

I know what you mean boomsick, i felt that I filed mine a bit too much but had no effect in functionality on my rifle. There is a difference for me though, I have both tapco and european steel mags and the steel ones do not fit as tight as the tapco mags so I had to make a compromise and let the steel ones be just a hair looser. I have had no failure to feed with any of them or consider magazine wobble. I some point though I will probably end up switching out my mag catch.

I know what you mean boomsick, i felt that I filed mine a bit too much but had no effect in functionality on my rifle. There is a difference for me though, I have both tapco and european steel mags and the steel ones do not fit as tight as the tapco mags so I had to make a compromise and let the steel ones be just a hair looser. I have had no failure to feed with any of them or consider magazine wobble. I some point though I will probably end up switching out my mag catch.

Its a little loose, just a little. I have no doubt that my rifle will feed as it always did. I am always looking for a project though. And this would be a cheap project. Its funny, my factory saiga mags seem to fit a tiny bit tighter that the steel euro ones, wierd. I thought I would have to sell them when I did the conversion. They fit right in, up against my bullet guide.

Is there any kind of ak series mag catch that WONT fit my saiga x39? Im just wondering because theres a couple kinds, romanian and chinese, and probably more. Which one would be the best bet?

Also, I have looked at some mag catch pins, they have hollow ends that looked like they need flattened to stay in, but I really dont know. Any info on this would help alot.

do you have to modify the factory mag on the front lip so it will feed. Yeah I am always looking for little projects for mine too, It is a total addiction that should have a support group and a 1-800 I cant stop modifying my saiga number!

Yeah I dont know why the euro mags are not as tight, as far as I have hear the best are the bulgarian waffle mags for tightness, but at 30 bucks a piece I stick with my surplus euro mags at 10 bucks a piece.

do you have to modify the factory mag on the front lip so it will feed. Yeah I am always looking for little projects for mine too, It is a total addiction that should have a support group and a 1-800 I cant stop modifying my saiga number!

Yeah I dont know why the euro mags are not as tight, as far as I have hear the best are the bulgarian waffle mags for tightness, but at 30 bucks a piece I stick with my surplus euro mags at 10 bucks a piece.

Personally, I didnt have to. Ive heard of some guys whos BGs stick out, in the way of the factory feed lip. My factory mags, are right up against the end of the BG. Really, I dont think theres a millimeter to spare. But they pop right in. I told my wife when I did my mag conversion I would sell my saiga mags, I have 2 american parts in my factory one and the other is a clear SGM. I could probably get around 45 bucks for both(the sgm is almost 40 from most any site yougo to). Now I dont want to, or need to, but she'd like me to, bah.

You right, im hooked on the russian herion. Just the feeling of satisfaction I get from improving this rifle is well worth the money I spend, not to mention I get a better weapon every time. Its nice to know I can use the cheap steel mags, although i have enough for now.

post-31894-0-13649200-1308937108_thumb.jpg

Will any mag catch work or are there particular ones that we would need to get? Do most of the pins need 'riveted' on the ends? I know someone here can point me in the right direction.

Most should work .Yes the pins are hollowed on the ends and your removal mothod will work . That is what I did on my saiga conversion,when I removed mine to file.

You can squeeze the new pin on the ends with a couple ball bearings or even those sling shot bb's they sell for the Wrist rockets by squishing them in a vice with a bb on each end or even a C clamp. I would do one at a time with a piece of wood as a backer on one side.

I was able to slighty drill mine and punch it out and reuse it by flaring it with a bb.

RTG in AZ has some New German kits with mag catch,spring and pin for $12.95 ea.

Hope this helps!

Most should work .Yes the pins are hollowed on the ends and your removal mothod will work . That is what I did on my saiga conversion,when I removed mine to file.

You can squeeze the new pin on the ends with a couple ball bearings or even those sling shot bb's they sell for the Wrist rockets by squishing them in a vice with a bb on each end or even a C clamp. I would do one at a time with a piece of wood as a backer on one side.

I was able to slighty drill mine and punch it out and reuse it by flaring it with a bb.

RTG in AZ has some New German kits with mag catch,spring and pin for $12.95 ea.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the confirmation, I found those on my google search. Im definately good with a 20dollar project. And I can test it before I squeeze my pins on. Im sure I can find something in my garage or tool box to use, or maybe cut the head off a round head screw. Im not really worried about function as it is, but if I can make my mag lock up a little tighter for a couple bucks, Ill do it.

That helped alot baker, thanks.

I got the catch and pin from desert fox. Well, I can say that it will work, but only after some fitting. Its like 1/8 longer than the original, from the pin, up and down. Down is great, but up is a problem. I may or may not put it in. It might wait until winter, my summers are way too busy. And like I said, Mine is only like 1/32 off. There is no problems with my steel mags so Ill wait until Im project hungry.

Edited by Boomsick42
  • 3 weeks later...

Well i took my rifle to the range the other day. All my steel mags and my tapco worked flawlessly. But To my surprise the saiga mags dont feed. The bolt slides right over top the round, but doesnt strip it off. Well, I guess Ill sell them and make the wife happy. But to correct my previous statement, they dont work for what ever reason. I could make them work, but Im goin to sell them to someone who needs them, I have enough mags anyway.