Was looking for for a pack if mobility was required and found this. Can carry a lot of weight with comfort, has a recon pack that unzips from the main if you have to move faster for a bit. Another nice feature is it has side pockets meant for skis, these work really well for my S308 and Marlin 60.

I've been putting together and researching items for a BOB pack as well. Hopefully some members can chime in with reviews of packs that they have owned and used. I like the feature of being able to carry a rifle or two on the pack, as long as it is quickly accessible.

as do i. i know the hazard 4 pack i was looking at has some pretty nice damn features going for it. from the video i seen. it would be easy to carry a secondary weapon such as a shotgun/shorter rifle with the right attachments to the main body of the pack. the inerior of it has lots of space for spare ammo and other items of value such as maps, medical items, rations and smaller spare parts for weapons and things that would make it a decent assault pack for numerous situations. plus its a sling pack design and i like that. removes much material from the firing shoulder wich in turn will ease shouldering a weapon and be more natural and still support a decent amount of weight within the requirments of any given situation. plus it can easily be brought around the chest cavity to access whatever items are in need. kinda cool. i just wish it wasnt imported.

I've jumped and humped numerous rucks in the military to include the CFP 90, SPEAR, Blackhawk RAPTOR X3, which do not have external frames. The ruck in the OP appears very similar to the SPEAR system. It's great because it can hold everything including your girlfriend, but like all the rucks I already mentioned, it sucks to actually put on your back and move with. The proven ALICE large with an external frame is the best IMO for actually carrying a lot of shit and doing so with some comfort and mobility. We tried all the new "High Speed" rucks and always returned to the ALICE. I've never tried the new MOLLE ruck with plastic frame the Army is using but I hear they suck as well. I got that feedback from Army cohorts that were required to use it while my team was using the ALICE and they were very envious we could still use them.

If possible, try out your new ruck and see how it balances. That said, when donning a ruck, make sure your hips bear the weight by cinching the waist strap tight. Your shoulders will thank you for it. Nothing sucks worse than a forced march under time constraints with a ruck that doesn't balance the load properly. There is such a thing as too big which gives you the option of carrying shit you do not need.

ETA: We used High Speed Gear Inc. Alipads on our ALICE frames which added a new level of comfort to them as well as additional storage.

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 2

I've jumped and humped numerous rucks in the military to include the CFP 90, SPEAR, Blackhawk RAPTOR X3, which do not have external frames. The ruck in the OP appears very similar to the SPEAR system. It's great because it can hold everything including your girlfriend, but like all the rucks I already mentioned, it sucks to actually put on your back and move with. The proven ALICE large with an external frame is the best IMO for actually carrying a lot of shit and doing so with some comfort and mobility. We tried all the new "High Speed" rucks and always returned to the ALICE. I've never tried the new MOLLE ruck with plastic frame the Army is using but I hear they suck as well. I got that feedback from Army cohorts that were required to use it while my team was using the ALICE and they were very envious we could still use them.

If possible, try out your new ruck and see how it balances. That said, when donning a ruck, make sure your hips bear the weight by cinching the waist strap tight. Your shoulders will thank you for it. Nothing sucks worse than a forced march under time constraints with a ruck that doesn't balance the load properly. There is such a thing as too big which gives you the option of carrying shit you do not need.

ETA: We used High Speed Gear Inc. Alipads on our ALICE frames which added a new level of comfort to them as well as additional storage.

Thank you for chiming in with your real life experience. That's what I'm looking for, input from guys who have used and abused the equipment. If SHTF, I'll try to make a home stand first, but if I have to move, I'll have to carry for a wife and two small kids so I'll need something that can carry a lot.

Edited by StarkIndustries

MT Predator

The ruck balances really well. It has adjustments to raise and lower the point of hip load so I can get it just right. I'll have to post some picks when I get the load out completed. You are correct that this may allow a user to take too much. I am currently working on my list of must have verses what is necessary. There are several members here who have posted ideas on what is needed, which has been invauable in making my choices. A big thanks to everyone for that.

StarkIndustries

The reach for the rifle in the side pocket is easy, the sights can catch though. I am looking at some foam that I can mold to the sight for consistent extraction and allow for fall away.

The whole idea behind this choice was having to move from a home postion and establish a camp near another water source, in my case a river. As with anything the plan on where to go and what to take evolves with research.

As soon as I do get my load out complete, the training will have to start. Even with the best ruck, you have to be able go long distances. While I can move several miles today on foot, I haven't been doing it with a ruck at 80 to 100 lbs and a Arktis adding another 30 lbs. I might have to find an old DI to keep me motivated :D

I wanted something like this http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Tasmanian_Tiger_First_Responder_Move_On/

But settled for this

https://www.foxoutdoor.com/ItemDetails.aspx?cid=1&ccid=1&cscid=796

for $50+/- and about $30 worth of modifications like adding bottom straps(for bed roll,etc) and takeing out the long pockets(adding pouches on top of pouches makes it too wide) and sewing the webbing panals back on forming sleeves that are great for carrying a machete/shovel or a coil of rope under whatever pouches I add to it. Plus my grab-n-go butt pack becomes an add on.

And here's a related thread

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/65537-my-shtf-lbs/page__p__631674__fromsearch__1#entry631674

Congrats and good luck with your new pack.

post-15573-0-34135700-1309185016_thumb.jpg