I am thinking of starting a conversion of Saiga 223 or 5.45 to a AK104 clone.

I am in IL and can not own an SBR legally.

I was thinking if I could purchase Saiga with 16 inch barrel, remove OEM front sight block and gas block, install K-VAR AK-142R gas block/sight block and slide KR-107CR 4.75 inch long Krinkov style flash hider to the gas block on top of the barrel, would I be able to screw the 4.75 inch compensator on the gas block/sight block without cutting the barrel and weld it or pin it?

would it be legal or would it still be considered SBR?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Samal
  • 11 months later...

If it all fits that way, and looks right you are good to go. Its only a SBR if you cut the barrel, or do not have a permanently attached flash hider to make it the 16 inches. So ith the long flash hider you could cut the barrel, as long as the flash hider is permanently attached. Could, but if it was me doing it I would do it just as you are.

The Russian, or the Bulgarian sight you are looking at does not just slide on, the barrel diameter is different. One goes right on, the other needs to have the barrel turned down, and I do not recall what one is what so keep that in mind.

As for the extended flash hider its the same setup that they have on the Arsenal SGL32-61 to look like a 105, with out the legal BS, so it should work fine.

My first suggestion would be to move. LOL! Otherwise back when Redjacket wasn't what it is now Will made me one with this hider/comp. offered by AKUSA. It is blind pinned and an easy SBR fix. The barrel is 12 inches and very accurate. Mine (not pictured) is 5,56 and uses galil mags.

img_rif_104_lg.jpg

img_par_compensator-105_lg.jpg