Saiga 5.45/right side folding ace?

I've got a Saiga 5.45 on order and I'm deciding on which parts to use. I've never converted a Saiga to a folder before, but I'm planning on doing it with this rifle. I'm planning on picking up the ace receiver block, ace hinge, and ace stock. My question is, I flip the hinge to fold it to the right side, is it possible to get it low enough to allow the rifle operate while folded. I like the idea of having it fold right, and having the sling swivel on the left, but it might be a deal breaker if I cant operate the rifle folded. Anyone done this before? If the ace stock wont work are there any that will?

I can't speak to the 5.45 aks but the saiga 12s can't fold right and cycle the next rounds, cause the stock blocks the bolt. I believe it is the same for the 5.45, you can mount it to fold left and it will work for sure

It might work with a Galil-style bolt knob. You could check with Pauly if that interests you. I think bottoming the stock--using the lower holes in the receiver block and lowest position of the folding mechanism and possibly the stock itself--would get the comb just below the charging handle.

I wonder if a slight downward angle, 5 degrees at the most, would allow the stock to fold beneath the charging handle but still provide a good cheekweld when unfolded.

Looking at my extremely similar Saiga .223 with an Ace 8.5" skeleton stock, no. The stock sticks up just a little at the very end to interfere with the charging handle, you would have a hard time reaching the trigger unless you're left-handed, and you couldn't get to the safety anyway.

Looking at it further I decided that it would be possible to have a stock that fits into the space between the charging handle and the top of the index finger knuckle, but it would pretty much have to be shaped like a Romanian wire stock. Sure enough Google Images returns more than a few hits of people with Romanian-style stocks that fold to the right. I don't have one but it looks perfectly usable to me.

113659110.jpg

Edited by WhiteRabbit