Okay so I've had this rifle since Feb. and when I first got it I would have fail to load, fail to fire, fail to eject, after about 60 rnds. I sent it into Sig for service, and a nearly 2 months later got it back. Took it out to the range ran about 80 rnds through it with no issues. Then a few weeks later took it out to the country no issues unless I tried to rapid fire. Now last weekend I take it out and what happening is I'm getting fail to eject about 1 in 10 shots. The spend casing is getting caught betweent the bolt and the receiver, horizantaly so the front of the spent casing is smashed by the receiver. Also what I notice when I go to clear the jam, a round has already been chambered. Any thoughts on what might cause this?

I've already sent this in once for repair, and they wouldn't specify on exactly the cause was. I'd really like to know if it's something easily fixed or something indicative of a larger issue. Thanks.

Maybe try different ammo. Are you using steel case or FMJ? not familiar with the weapon but ive read that steel case doesnt work well in ar type platforms.

I'm using steel cased tula 124 gr FMJ. I haven't been able to find enough brass ammo to rule that out. But If brass ammo is the problem it's a deal breaker, I've already talked to Sig about that and it's bullshit. They wanted me to try It, so I scraped up 60 rnds that ran me about 39 bucks!! I'll try some other steel, but brass is out! Technicaly it's not an AR...it's a long stroke gas piston. I guess I could put some pics of it broken down. Don't know if that'll help anybody identify the problem.

Edited by poolingmyignorance

Maybe try different ammo. Are you using steel case or FMJ? not familiar with the weapon but ive read that steel case doesnt work well in ar type platforms.

I'm using steel cased tula 124 gr FMJ. I haven't been able to find enough brass ammo to rule that out. But If brass ammo is the problem it's a deal breaker, I've already talked to Sig about that and it's bullshit. They wanted me to try It, so I scraped up 60 rnds that ran me about 39 bucks!! I'll try some other steel, but brass is out! Technicaly it's not an AR...it's a long stroke gas piston. I guess I could put some pics of it broken down. Don't know if that'll help anybody identify the problem.

Im sorry to hear about your misfortunes and that I am not of more help. Hope your issues get resolved PMI. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is this the 550 based platform or an AR platform? If the former, I didn't realize they made 556s in anything other than .223. Did you try adjusting the gas if it is the 550 based platform?

Yes, it is the 550 platform. And yes I've tried both gas settings. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get enough brass ammo to really put this thing through it's paces with it. However the golden tiger seems to work alot better, and is way cheaper, so I don't mind sticking to that. The winchester brass does hold much tighter groups though, so for bench shooting it's the way I'll go. I really need to get back out and dump gold tiger till it fails. I'm curious what the count will be.Thanks for all the responses, everybody.

Edited by poolingmyignorance
  • 4 weeks later...

It has a corrosive primer, but get some Yugo M67 Ball. It's brass cased, Berdan primed, and running about 17 cents a round at AIM right now. For my AK/SKS rifles, it has proven the most accurate of the surplus stuff. As long as you clean it after shooting(or within a reasonable time frame), it's not bad stuff. If your bore is chrome lined, even better. Easier clean-up.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A76239Yugo&name=Yugoslavian+7.62x39+123grn+FMJ+15rd+box&groupid=39

$214 a case(1260 rounds) right now. The 1120 orund cases on strippers has dried up. :(

I'm really interested in picking one up, hopefully SIG fixes the issues I've been reading about. I've a Sig522 and absolutely love how it handles...and since I've a ton of AK mags&ammo, I figure it'd make sense to keep it in the family.

I've gotten it to run alot better having reprofiled the hammer and polishing it, but the major draw back is that it would seem the recoil spring isn't the highest quality and after having ran only about 1000rnd it's starting to wear, and now hangs open on the hammer. Sig has yet to get back with me as far as the interchaneabilty of the 556 recoil spring and the 556R spring.

I've been thinking about getting this gun but the reports are just so iffy...not sure if it's worth buying...

Personally I'd hold off a while longer, till sig get's their shit straight. I considered selling mine, but I don't feel right passing a less than reliable weapon on to somebody. When I'm done with it, it'll run 100% or be for sale in parts on gun broker.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently Sig's have been utter shite, and it pains me to say that because I really love Sig. Ive got a 556 and a 220, and both are my favorite guns I own. the issue is they've been really rushing RnD on their 55X platform, trying to bring out new stuff and they've really dropped the ball on quality and maintaining their namesake "to hell and back" junk.

I will say the 556 is an AWESOME 5.56 rifle, better than any AR I've ever shot, especially for the money. I hope they get the 556R straightened out because I really would love to have one, but at the rate they're going it'll be a couple years before I decided to commit my cash to the platform.