major problems please help

I did my first conversion on my 7.62 yesterday. It came out really good and I got it done fairly quickly right up until the last step of reassembling it. When i go to put the gas assembly back onto the reciever it will not slide back passed the trigger. Even with the bolt removed (trigger is cocked bye the way) it wont slide forward easily the bottom of the gas assembly hits the trigger and stops it. If I force it forward and reassemble i can not manually cycle the gun ( with bolt installed) it acts as if the safety is on and will not work correctly. The hammer is functioning perfectly and the conversion was second nature to this point but now Im lost. Please help I cant find any info on the problem . What did I do wrong? How do I fix this? Thanks in advance.

I did my first conversion on my 7.62 yesterday. It came out really good and I got it done fairly quickly right up until the last step of reassembling it. When i go to put the gas assembly back onto the reciever it will not slide back passed the trigger. Even with the bolt removed (trigger is cocked bye the way) it wont slide forward easily the bottom of the gas assembly hits the trigger and stops it. If I force it forward and reassemble i can not manually cycle the gun ( with bolt installed) it acts as if the safety is on and will not work correctly. The hammer is functioning perfectly and the conversion was second nature to this point but now Im lost. Please help I cant find any info on the problem . What did I do wrong? How do I fix this? Thanks in advance.

Are you running an Arsenal FCG?

Reason I ask is the trigger hook is very high compared to the tapco so many times it lets the hammer sit so high that the carrier jams up on it.

I found the only way to get a saiga .308's carrier onto the reciever with an Arsenal FCG is to pull the trigger & manually press the hammer into the disconnector, & continue to hold the trigger to keep the hammer in the disconnector as I install the carrier.

Needless to say I'm not a fan of Arsenal FCG's on Saigas for the high trigger hook reasons.

I used a texas ak trigger group, the same thing happened. When my carrier was coming forward over the hammer, the hump on the hammer was way too high to let the carrier move back into battery, without frcing it forward. I filed that thing for an hour to get it to slide over decently. That was the hang up in my conversion. Im sure its quite common.

Keep the hammer installed, and file on that hump, not the flat that hits the firing pin. File a little then put your piston and carrier back in and see if it goes past 'rather' smoothly, without hanging up a whole lot. When it does your good. My factory saiga hammer was WAY FLATTER than my texas FCG. You just have to take some steel off. Hope that helps.

Pauly, you know more than I do. Thats how I got mine to work. I dont want to lead anyone astray.

No Paulie im using tapco. Boomer thanks man I appreciate the help I got in touch with Paulie last night he the best very helpfull he instructed me to try the original hammer since I have enogh compliant parts havent trid it yet but will let you know if it works. I really appreciate all of you guys help and feedback especially paulie for giving me soo much of his time and trying to help me out. Ranger I bought the kit from css.com i got it as a kit with there screws so I think there profile is ok but I will take a closer look at that thank you but I think it is a tromix not sure though.

IMO, if you put in your factory trigger, and it works, and the problem goes away, and your bolt will easily slide over your hammer. Then, to keep you US parts count in line (if you someday plan on using foriegn magazines), profile your US made hammer like your factory hammer. If you are going to use expensive US made mags, then dont worry about it. But as legality is always the most important issue, take some time and get your new hammer fittet to your rifle. You will be happy you did, especially when you want to install a bullet guide and use steel mags. If that is indeed your prolem. Good luck

Ok so I took Paulies advice and tried the original factory trigger and it seems to have fixed the issue the gun went back together normally and I am once again able to cycle it manually. I am gonna take it to the range tomorrow to make sure it fires normally. I will let you guys know what happens.