Heavy hitter + Pauly Polish?

I'm interested in making my Saiga 12 as reliable and long-lasting as possible for my SHTF backup. It fires federal bulk 100% on setting 5. I want to get the internals polished by Pauly and my question is... Is it smart to first get the heavy hitter pin and stronger bolt before getting it polished? Will this add to the reliability of the weapon?

As far as I understand it havin an op rod installed has nothing to do with what Pauly does. His work is to the bolt, carrier bottom, and FCG. unless you go with the carrier posh for looks the nchanging the op rod doesn't make a difference. I can attest that having a reprofiled on your carrier/bolt/ FCG does make a difference on the functionality of your gun.

Are you already converted? If so you will need to disassemble your FCG and send it to get the most of your polish/ profile. Another thing that makes a difference is your feed ramp and bolt lock up areas. You can speak with forum members or some of the vendors, but since there are permanently attached to your receiver you either have to do the work yourself, have someone locally do it, or ship to a FFL.

Weird thing i have learned is whenever you alter the S12 it seems to make the function alter. Sometimes for the better and sometimes not.

Thanks I understand now. So I could do the Pin and Op rod later and that wouldn't matter, right?

Also is there any functional advantage to getting the carrier polished too (I believe Pauly calls this the "Ice Rack") besides the obvious asthetics?

Thanks I understand now. So I could do the Pin and Op rod later and that wouldn't matter, right?

Also is there any functional advantage to getting the carrier polished too (I believe Pauly calls this the "Ice Rack") besides the obvious asthetics?

I would do the op rod as needed if the factory rod fails, which is rare. If your S12 is not running well yet, the heavier op rod may increase the frequency of failures. I raise hell with my S12s and they all have factory op rods. Some tight, some loose and none have failed.

I think Pauly's "Ice Rack" thing is the exterior polish. Maybe Pauly will comment on what the purpose of it is. I am probably wrong.

ETA: It wouldn't be a bad idea to get the pin for a spare and install it later if the factory pin fails. You probably have to log a lot of rounds for the pin and op rod to fail though. How many rounds do you think you will or can afford to fire per year?

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Right now I'm having no issues with the gun at all - I was just thinking I could beef up the parts a bit with the stronger op rod & pin. That's a good idea maybe I'll just buy them and keep them here just in case.

I will shoot probably 1000 rounds per year on my saiga12. Yesterday I put about 250 rounds through it.

So if the gun is running very well right now, should I not get the polishing done? If I understand it correctly the polishing just lowers friction, which means a little less gas is needed to cycle.. would getting the polishing done make me slightly over-gassed if it's running fine currently without the polishing?

So if the gun is running very well right now, should I not get the polishing done? If I understand it correctly the polishing just lowers friction, which means a little less gas is needed to cycle.. would getting the polishing done make me slightly over-gassed if it's running fine currently without the polishing?

These weapons are very hard to truly "overgas" unless you just go apeshit crazy by adding huge ports or too many ports at a size larger than factory and do not properly regulate the gas. As long as you have the ability to regulate the gas (V-Plug, Autoplug, modified factory plug :angel: , etc.), the weapon should be fine after removing a little resistence. There are so many variables from each individual weapon and ammo choice that it is impossible to nail down a detailed response to that question that fits everything. These weapons are tough and can take a fair amount of abuse and operator error. You may be overthinking it. The polishing is all up to you. I do all of mine myself whether they need it or not, just because I am high strung and need something to do on days like yesterday and today ;)

Speak of the devil and.....

IceRack, My full carrier polish is more aesthetic than anything.

I saw some customers had tried to polish the whole carrier but lacked the correct process so they left the deep tool marks.

A full carrier polish where one leaves the deep tool marks looks bad, so I began offering the service.

Reasons that People get GlassBolt on a weapon that's already functioning relatively well are generally for the smoother action/trigger, the ease of loading mags on a closed bolt that GlassBolt provides, also for better reliability when using drum magazines & for the reliability modifications to the FCG parts that are included in GlassBolt for no extra charge.

Many have tried modifications similar to Glassbolt themselves & still ended up sending it my way because they didn't like how it looked with the rough sanding marks or little dremel-bites at the top of the bolt stem & simply desired the professional finish to increase the resale value of the weapon.

Or, maybe everyone just gets it done for the free port gauge/cleaner wires or the 6" Izmash decal currently included with each order?

I personally run the Tromix Heavy Hitter firing pin & I can see no determent to it's use whatsoever.

^^ Dammit Pauly I didnt get a sticker.

Or, maybe everyone just gets it done for the free port gauge/cleaner wires or the 6" Izmash decal currently included with each order?

At the time you had work done I only had 18" decals for $19.99.

I just recently decided to do a promotion including this 6" die-cut decal free with each order shipped;

6inchdecal004.jpg

The run of 100 just set me back close to $500.00 due to all the labor charges for weeding the extra material from the decals.

I'd love to give every past customer a free one, but I've done hundreds of units in the last 6 months.

That would cost me well over a grand + mailing, + a couple days getting it all together.

If any of my previous customers want one, I'll give it to them at cost.

I still have a bunch of 41 cent forever stamps, so it'd be $5.00 even for one.

If there's a bunch of demand I could probably offer them for $7.50 to the public.

Not trying to take any money out of anyones pockets or anything, but you say your shotty is running fine..... as the old saying goes, "If it aint broke, dont fix it" ;)

No worries.

I agree with you completely as long as "running fine" means running excellent without FTFs or FTEs, even when running drums & one has no issues loading full rock & lock stick mags on a closed bolt.