So I'm looking at getting a Saiga-20

For the first time. My first time looking at a Saiga of any kind, actually. It's an S-20, in box with 2 mags, for 350 bucks. The price seems right, I really want a Saiga (i'd go for a 12 if it wasn't for the hyper prices-they're going for 800 locally and I don't really want to go through FFL transfer hassle. My questions are:

-What should I be looking for on the gun? Any areas of wear I should be paying especial attention to?

-Is this a good price? It seems like it, but it's hard to get a feel for S-20, there just aren't that many of them floating around on the secondhand market.

-What parts AT MINIMUM should I plan on getting? Are tweaks to the gas system required to cycle birdshot for the S-20.

-And this is more general, but has anyone used the stocks that add the pistol grip without conversion? They seem cheap-looking to me, but do they feel tight?

First time poster, long-time lurker. I love Soviet-bloc weapons (my personal home defense weapon is...a Mosin-Nagant. Yes.) So this is all pretty exciting.

I offer this pic in answer to your questions (and some you didn't ask) :

2h6wtoh.jpg

Definitely do the conversion. Fun project.

Get 20-mags mags. Cut 'em down if you like.

Every gas sytem is different (as above) I got the twister puck, lighter weight recoil spring, and polished up the bolt / internals.

I paid $300 about a year ago, but lately don't see any anywhere at any price.

...and they sold it yesterday. I guess that's what I get for being hesitant, I'll have to just keep waiting. Such is life. Thanks for the responses, guys!

Carolina Shooters Supply has 52 S12s left for $579 right now. Shipping is $30.00 and FFL transfer fee is usually minimal. You save far more ordering online than buying locally and paying sales tax. FFL transfer is the same process as buying a gun locally. They call it in and a few minutes later you walk out with it. Even with shipping and FFL fee it's still a couple hundred bucks cheaper than buying it locally. I would put a couple hundred bucks back and get what you want instead of settling for something else, personally.

Oh, and the bolt-on pistol grip stocks are horrible. :ded:

...and they sold it yesterday. I guess that's what I get for being hesitant, I'll have to just keep waiting. Such is life. Thanks for the responses, guys!

Carolina Shooters Supply has 52 S12s left for $579 right now. Shipping is $30.00 and FFL transfer fee is usually minimal. You save far more ordering online than buying locally and paying sales tax. FFL transfer is the same process as buying a gun locally. They call it in and a few minutes later you walk out with it. Even with shipping and FFL fee it's still a couple hundred bucks cheaper than buying it locally. I would put a couple hundred bucks back and get what you want instead of settling for something else, personally.

Oh, and the bolt-on pistol grip stocks are horrible. :ded:

You know, I looked at that before and talked myself out of it, but it's looking more attractive every day...and under 700 with the FFL and isn't bad, but it's a bit more than I'm looking to pay (in college at the moment). We'll see if I have the patience to keep checking pawnshops and whatnot.

And that's kind of what I figured about the bolt-on pistol grips.