extended mag release problems

Put an extended mag release from carolina shooting supply on my saiga 12, went to the range to test it out and it wasn't holding the magazines in properly thus causing feeding problems and it damaged the rear locking lug of my mags. I bent it forward so that the tab would fit more securely under the lugs but some of the mag lugs were so bad that they still cant hold into the magwell under the weight and recoil and still fall out and cause feed problems. I'm wondering if SGM will cover this under the warranty and send me new ones seeing as to how the lug is one with the mag and cannot be replaced I may not be able to continue using my 12 rounder, and my drums were damaged too, after performing the A fitting with the original mag release installed the new one screwed up the drums lugs too. wish I never got this thing, it turned my reliable ak shotgun into a jamomatic, only the original five rounder and sgm 10 rounders work well, and may just reinstall the original if I can find the little bastard around here somewhere. any helpful thoughts and info would be appreciated, thanks.

Put an extended mag release from carolina shooting supply on my saiga 12, went to the range to test it out and it wasn't holding the magazines in properly thus causing feeding problems and it damaged the rear locking lug of my mags. I bent it forward so that the tab would fit more securely under the lugs but some of the mag lugs were so bad that they still cant hold into the magwell under the weight and recoil and still fall out and cause feed problems. I'm wondering if SGM will cover this under the warranty and send me new ones seeing as to how the lug is one with the mag and cannot be replaced I may not be able to continue using my 12 rounder, and my drums were damaged too, after performing the A fitting with the original mag release installed the new one screwed up the drums lugs too. wish I never got this thing, it turned my reliable ak shotgun into a jamomatic, only the original five rounder and sgm 10 rounders work well, and may just reinstall the original if I can find the little bastard around here somewhere. any helpful thoughts and info would be appreciated, thanks.

Please call me if you have questions on it. If the Ram release is holding it too low the shells will not pick up correctly and jam the gun. I am not sure how it could damage the mags unless the mag release has been altered.

Do you have any pictures of the damaged area?

the damage is that when the mags fell out the release shaved off some of the polymer of the lug and so now the part that catches onto the release is small now and is now even more susceptible to falling out, I did not alter the release it self when I first installed and followed the instructional video on your website when first putting it on my gun. I used pliers to bend it forward so that it would fit more snugly and be further under the lug, its hard to explain. My camera would not be able to take a photo at such a close distance and the detail would just be blurry. I'll give you a call to try and explain it further, do I call the number under the contact us tab on your website?

I installed one on mine and decided to put the original back in. The mags just seemed to have a little more front to back movement. I wish they were sold extra tall, and then the end user could file down the proper amount, and you could get a better fit for all of your mags, IMO. My factory one still allows for some movement in my AGP10rd and Surefire12rd, if I was able to grind the proper amount off the top, I could have my stick mags fit like an MD drum, Not an expert here but why aren't these sold longer?

Another issue I noticed with the factory catch, is that it isn'y "square" on the top edge. What I am trying to say is the mag is being held on just one side of the catch, this too could be cleaned up with a custom fit. Maybe it is a mag issue, I really don't know.

Hopefully one of the forum experts can address these issues or maybe it already has been discussed.

Disclaimer: I never test fired the device and am not saying it doesn't work, I just wish there was a better version I could custom fit.

Edited by HOG76

the damage is that when the mags fell out the release shaved off some of the polymer of the lug and so now the part that catches onto the release is small now and is now even more susceptible to falling out, I did not alter the release it self when I first installed and followed the instructional video on your website when first putting it on my gun. I used pliers to bend it forward so that it would fit more snugly and be further under the lug, its hard to explain. My camera would not be able to take a photo at such a close distance and the detail would just be blurry. I'll give you a call to try and explain it further, do I call the number under the contact us tab on your website?

Yes please call 843-267-9084 when you have time. If I am on the other line leave a message and I will call you back.

Thanks

• Like 1

Mine was also shorter than the factory mag release. With the original mag release I couldn't get a 10rd or drum to lock into my S12, but waited to install the RAM mag release before I altered the mags and drums,Now mine works perfectly no mods needed to the mag release, mags or drums. Even the original 5rd locks up tight. It seems anything aftermarket has a 50% chance of needing altered to fit.

* Agreed I think the tab should be longer so it can be custom fit to any S12 as needed.

i have a ram mag extention and the magazine falls out but i fixed it by holding the mag as a forward grip and have no problem. i feel like reinstalling the stock one would just be a waste or 30$

Yeah, I actually tried this my first time to the range with it installed, the recoil of the shells I was using was so violent that this proved to do nothing, maybe with target loads it would be good. Besides I have a fore grip on there that is much more comfortable to use and I should not be restricted to having to hold the mag in nor do I want to risk further damage of the magazines. Plus holding onto the mag when its a drum is no good either!

What's awesome here is the vendor directly posting to this thread to resolve the problem. This is the new standard for other vendors! Are you listening??

Indeed, I spoke with Mr. Greg Queen of Carolina SS and told him specifically what the problems were and he agreed to send me the new JTE extended mag release when they get them in stock. I reinstalled the factory release and this it what I ascertained after the reinstall: with the original there is less upward and downward travel of the mags when loaded in the gun, the factory release has a bend in it unlike the extended one from RAM, it does not appear to be any taller than the RAM but in addition to being canted forward the holes where the lock pin goes into are significantly smaller than the ones on the RAM, I had to use a punch to push the pin back into the original release's pin holes where as the with the RAM installed I was able to move out the lock pin with a q tip. So either I received a RAM release that wasn't up to standard or my Saiga's a little different, either way Carolina SS stands behind their products and will continue to shop there if I need additional Saiga parts. Greg also informed me to contact SGM and tell them how the rear lock lug broke off and that they should just send me a new one after I send in the damaged one.