First time @ the range w/ my Saiga 12

So... took my Saiga out to the range today. I put about 140 shells through it with a mix of Federal bird/target (Wal-Mart bulk pack) and Remington buckshot.

During the first 50-75 of 1 1/8 shot, I noticed a few times where it wouldn't feed the shell all the way in and it got hung up at the crown, thus failing to feed. This only happened during rapid fire and after about 10 or so shells in quick succession before it.

I had it set to 2... and after 100-110 shells, didn't have anymore issues. I guess it was broken in by then. Overall, I really enjoyed it & it was a lot of fun- perhaps more fun than my AR & LR.

Moving forward, I am considering this gas plug though. Thoughts?

Saiga 12 / LR-308 AP4 / AR-15

img9097h.jpg

The MD V- plug offers the ability to fine tune the amount of gas that enters the system. I had one and it was great. I liked that I could adjust it by hand until the gas system got really dirty (300 rounds or so). menace667 forced me to trade it to him for his Autoplug.... ;)

The "crown" is the end of the barrel, the "barrel hood" is above where the shell sits before it enters the chamber, and the "feedramp" is at the bottom of the chamber. It sounds like shells are catching on the feedramp. Plenty of info about feedramp mods here. The search function will probably yield results now that you know what to look for.

The "crown" is the end of the barrel, the "barrel hood" is above where the shell sits before it enters the chamber, and the "feedramp" is at the bottom of the chamber. It sounds like shells are catching on the feedramp. Plenty of info about feedramp mods here. The search function will probably yield results now that you know what to look for.

Thanks for the helping out with the terminology, evl.

Yeah, I think I had only three rounds that didn't feed right somewhere up to the 70-80th round. In those cases, the front of the shell (on the top of it) was getting smashed against the portion of metal that extends out from the left side, above the chamber, at the 11 o'clock position (12 o'clock on the face of the shell). Then, I adjusted the gas setting (set it to 2) and had no more issues for the last 50 or so rounds.

Edited by Vulcan

Thanks for the helping out with the terminology, evl.

Yeah, I think I had only three rounds that didn't feed right somewhere up to the 70-80th round. In those cases, the front of the shell (on the top of it) was getting smashed against the portion of metal that extends out from the left side, above the chamber, at the 11 o'clock position (12 o'clock on the face of the shell). Then, I adjusted the gas setting (set it to 2) and had no more issues for the last 50 or so rounds.

post-22401-0-87983400-1312770734_thumb.jpgpost-22401-0-23779900-1312770638_thumb.jpg

I just took mine for the first time also, and as I expected, it wouldn't cycle birdshot at all(yes it was on setting 2). I will definitely be having the bolt polished, but is polishing the bolt all you need for most guns? On a side note: whats up the BHO nub? It must have gotten hit as it fired and sunk up into the gun. Well after pulling out my hair trying to figure out the manual(definitely translated Russian --> English!)I pulled this tiny gray nub next to/above the trigger and the bolt finally snapped shut!