Magazine Storage

I'm new to Saigas. I am very interested in buying one but I heard that long term storage of ammunition in magazines leads to the shot shells being crushed or becoming disfigured. If that were the case, I would have concerns over using it as a primary home defense weapon. I saw the thread where the overwhelming response to dependability in HD situations was very positively in favor. I still wonder if anyone has experienced the magazione storage problem or has heard about it.

Thanks in advance.

yes, if you leave the bolt closed with a magazine in the gun, the magazine will crush the top round quickly, so that it is too deformed to chamber. There's are solutions to this.

Download the magazine by 1 round. This relieves some of the spring pressure from the top round. However, I think this may just slow the process down.

Lock the bolt back. This can be done with the factory bho or a safety lever notch. With the notch, it only takes one motion to remove the safety and chamber a round, making the gun quick to deploy.

use a slug as the top round. Slugs are solid and can't deform like shot can.

Somthing I'm thinking about trying is having the bolt closed with a round in the chamber, but not having the magazine 100% locked, so its not forcing the round against the bolt carrier. Just have the front tab hooked.

Saigas are known for problems out of the box. If you want one for HD, be ready to put a lot of money or effort (as many things can be done yourself) into making it reliable.

Winchester PDX1 are 1oz slugs so they dont deform adn are specifically designed for home defense so their energy dissipates quickly. I wouldnt recommend using 1 or 1 1/8oz straight slugs for home defense unless you are the only one there so there is no chance you could injure anyone with the stray runaway rounds.

Save yourself about $1000 or more and get a glock for home defense. Damn near idiot proof, you dont have to be awake and alert to pull a trigger like you would to load a magazine in the dark and all thats involved with a semi auto shotty.

Or get a $3-$400 pump gun if you're really worried about it.

Theres a few different ways to get around the "top shell deformation" issue with a Saiga12. There is also a particular thread that has alot of remedies specifically aimed at that issue.

the replies may sound a bit surprising for the thread starter but TRUE.

for a lot less money, you can have a semi-auto pistol and a pump shotgun for home defense.

if you're getting a saiga12, you're getting it because you want it. you have to know what you're getting into since not all saigas are sweet right out of the box (or should i say very few?). but once you get hold of a sweet-running Saiga12.... you know you gotta have one. 022.gif

just make sure you get more magazines for it (take it from me).