saiga 12 bolt guide rails

Hi everyone. New guy has a question. Are the bolt guide rails the same in an S12 as any other ak or variant? Or are they special becuase it a 12 guage? Also how thick is the receiver steel.? Might be common knowlage bu,t I don't know. Thanks in advance for any help or answers.

I figured it would be the thicker 1.5. What is different about the bolt guide rails in the s12 compared to common AK rails available on the market? Are original or aftermarket saiga 12 rails availble from somewhere???? Any info or leads would help, Thanks JR.

No, not just the rails.

The weapons platform is so new that nobody's started making parts from scratch like that...

You seem to be seeking to make an S-12 from scratch.

Not many seek that.

You're not the machinist I bought my lathe from bu any chance are you?

(he wanted to build one from scratch)

If you are, you're welcome to come over & measure the heck out of mine to get specs.

I also have documentation on the steel used, properties, heat treatment & such.

I found a saiga 12 parts kit on gun broker and wanted to build it on a ak receiver but was not sure if the rails are compatable. The auctions about out of my price range though so now that the cats out of the bag I guess I'll just get the complete gun from centerfire for 6 bills ready to go. UNLESS saiga 12 rails are availbe somewere??

Ok . Not actualy having it in my hands to see, Im getting the picture. PITA is ok. Doable sounds more like it, Im sure I can figure it out. I have more than just a few hack saws, just never used them on a gun project...

Here is another question, does any body know what the differences are between a 20 and a 12 bol?. Mainly, are the rail lugs and width the same? I am betting they are not interchangable but I have a S20 and can at least look at its bolt and guide rail dimentions. To start my S12resurection. If I win the auction, I'll keep everyone up on my progress, as I guess from what Im told, an S12 has not been built from a "kit" to many times to date. Should be interesting. Thanks for all the help and info. Junior.

There are so many things different about the 12 that you'd have a hard time replicating the receiver it without making it from scratch. Rails are different, receiver is heavier, magwell is different as well as the position of certain rivets. The center support and magwell latch are unique, not like an AK, so hopefully that's included in the kit.

Yes it is complete gun with cut receiver, so everything is there..... for measuring and reassembly just has cut receiver. I just went down and looked at my saiga 20 and 7.62 and compared them. All though there are obvious differences, 1 being a bulge on the right side of receiver for front truinion on the s20 and mag well, genrally speaking they are not apples and oranges.Rather different types of apples. Building the receiver from a virgin 4130 sheet shouldn't be impossable having the original receiver for a template. The buldge would be my biggest obstical but am a welder by trade and have a fair background in machining with a bridgeport, lathe shop press and other shop tools to use. If I win the auction it will be a good project for the upcoming winter. I only try harder to do something, the more they say it cant be done. Just my personality.Probably cost me a hell of a lot of money over the years but I like saying "Ibuilt it". I wonder what its worth just to part it out if I win. Doesn't look like ANY parts are available for them I.E bol, barrel, trunion, carrier??? 9 hour left Junior

If all you need is a new receiver and you have the skills and equipment, it can definitely be done from scratch. And yes it's satisfying to roll your own!

The main issue with home-built receivers IMO is the lack of proper heat treating. The spot-treated axis holes holes hold up fine and the rails do add a good deal of stiffness. I haven't had more than maybe 2K rounds through my first receiver build, I have no reason to believe it will fail anytime soon but it's always bothered me that the receiver is still "soft".

I had hoped to win it but it went for 530 plus 20 shipping. After learning what I did from all you guys probably a bullet dodged. I had also hoped to use this project to do a few things I have yet to try, like building an induction heat treater from an old electric oven, as well as a few new curse word combos, break my current record for how for a wrench flyies...... Maybe a psl kit might be any easier build and just buy an s12 to complete the Saiga trifector. Thanks ALL. Junior