ak rear sight movement

hey guys I was around here for a while but have been caught up in a bunch of other stuff lately and haven't had the time to show my saiga the appropriate amount of love.

while cleaning my converted 7.62 after a day shooting i realized that my rear sight leaf does not fit snugly in the rear sight block. The right of the sight is pushed hard against the trunnion on the right side but i can push it probably 1-2mm to left hand side. as soon as i let it go it snaps right back to right hand side right up against the cut out of the trunnion.

my question is is this supposed to be a snug fit? meaning when the rear sight is down in the normal friring position shouldn't it be just barely making contact with each wall of the cutout in the trunnion for the leaf to ride in?

it seems like this would destroy accuracy, never shooting at paper targets much it doesn'tt seem like it has...i zeroed it with 20 rnds which seemed to be consistent but since then I've just been doing the 25-100yrd soda bottle game.. athough fun it doesn't really tell me if my left to right is staying at zero all that well.

could some people show some pics of the way their sight leaves sit in the trunnion to maybe put my head at ease???

thanks,

hutch

I have just noticed this exact same issue with my 5.45. ! I was going to post a thread myself if I couldn't find one on the topic. This is definately an accuracy issue, I am just glad things aren't canted like my Draco. Wish I had the answer for you, but at least you know you are not alone.

The sight leaf spring usually does a pretty good job keeping it where it needs to be. If you find you are having a wandering zero then replace the sight and hope for a better fit next time.

The "ears" holding the sight in can also be slightly out of round and not seated. As can the posts on the sight itself. Both cause canting.

Some of my guns have wiggle, most do not, they all shoot within the same tolerances. I did notice the 5.45 Saiga has more play than any of my other AKs but I had already replaced the factory sight with a Bulgarian at that point.

• Like 1

I had a sight do this once but it would flop vertically from recoil, a MOJO sight. Sent it back no problems afterwards.

Either the leaf spring underneath is sprung not putting enough force on the end of the sight to hold it or its not seated fully or both. The ears could be too small or too large causing the seating issue. Hard to say more. Look closely at those.

Edited by Rhodes1968

It's never been dropped in my possession. The part of the trunnion that houses the pivot for the leaf is pretty tight. It's just the sight seems it's supposed to be tightly contained in the half inch section towered the butt of the pivot. It's pressed against the right side but I can push to left in the space you see in the picture. I guess I could squeeze that section with a vice to try to take away that gap shown in the picture

Edited by hutchsaiga

I had a sight do this once but it would flop vertically from recoil, a MOJO sight. Sent it back no problems afterwards.

Either the leaf spring underneath is sprung not putting enough force on the end of the sight to hold it or its not seated fully or both. The ears could be too small or too large causing the seating issue. Hard to say more. Look closely at those.

Gotta love MOJO and their warranty. Just ordered a Micro-click for my Saiga, and have one on my Mosin and SKS already. Talk about an improvement. :) I highly recommend them as an upgrade.

I had "rear sight floppage" on my SKS, and simply used a C-clamp to compress the ears with the sight removed. These sights are not machined to tight tolerances like an M1, so some can be out up to .005" or more.

• Like 1

Dont bend anything please.

There is a spring under that sight that may be loose and only that can bent very carefully upwards to increase pressure on the sight. Bending anything else is going to be cause for regret.

Remove the sight and see whats happening.

It's not that spring pressure is not strong enough. It's quite strong actually. It's that the sides of the notch in the trunnion which holds the sight leaf from left and right movement seems to be to wide for the sight and it is pressed up against the right side of said notch. The gap circled in this photo does not exist on the opposite side.

f5d5be3c.jpg

It's not that spring pressure is not strong enough. It's quite strong actually. It's that the sides of the notch in the trunnion which holds the sight leaf from left and right movement seems to be to wide for the sight and it is pressed up against the right side of said notch. The gap circled in this photo does not exist on the opposite side.

f5d5be3c.jpg

I just grabbed my Saiga, and it looks like you have bad machining on your trunnion holes. I'm snapping pics now of mine for comparison.

EDIT:

OK....here's mine.

P1010872.jpg

I tried, and my sight has no side-to-side play at all.

Edited by Lone Eagle

Just me, but... If it doesn't affect accuracy, it doesn't fall out and it has to be physically moved, why bother?

Mine wiggles a good bit too if I make it, but it still hits Minute of Man at 300yards.

Its a AK, loose tolerances abound.

:2c:

• Like 1

Minute of Man instead of Minute of Angle, awesome saying Chile!! :up:

We've steel human silhouettes at our range, set at 100, 200 & 300 yards, ain't picky about exactly where I'm hitting'em, as long as I'm hitting'em. ;)

Had a AK naysayer at the range one day, talking about how inaccurate the AK is.

I told him it is just as accurate as any other MBR, and proceeded to ring 300 yard steel offhanded.

He shutup.

• Like 1

We've steel human silhouettes at our range, set at 100, 200 & 300 yards, ain't picky about exactly where I'm hitting'em, as long as I'm hitting'em. ;)

Had a AK naysayer at the range one day, talking about how inaccurate the AK is.

I told him it is just as accurate as any other MBR, and proceeded to ring 300 yard steel offhanded.

He shutup.

Very nice :super:

Minute of Man? Here, we say "Minute of Dead".

Here are a few more Pics to show the movement. First tel are were it sits normally. Third and fourth are pushed over to show the movement

de113238.jpg

Hmmm.....your sight only goes to 300 meters? Look at mine again. Mine goes to 1K meters. Might want to try ordering another sight before modifying the trunnion. Give me a couple of days, and I'll hit my rear sight pins with the calipers. Got a Mojo on the way, and installing it as soon as it arrives.

My god the simplicity of it makes me want to slap myself.

They put the wrong sight on your rifle, or a one out of spec, it is narrower than the others judging from the fit of the ears.

Well paint my face stupid.

I hope you're being sarcastic?

Cause thats the same rear sight leaf as on my rifle, and all the rest that I've seen.

I'm sitting here eyeballing his pic and my 762, and any difference is about indiscernible between the sights.

If anything is out of spec, it maybe that the base's left wall was milled a bit thin.

Some actual measurements are perhaps in order, for comparison?

My god the simplicity of it makes me want to slap myself.

They put the wrong sight on your rifle, or a one out of spec, it is narrower than the others judging from the fit of the ears.

Well paint my face stupid.

I hope you're being sarcastic?

Cause thats the same rear sight leaf as on my rifle, and all the rest that I've seen.

I'm sitting here eyeballing his pic and my 762, and any difference is about indiscernible between the sights.

If anything is out of spec, it maybe that the base's left wall was milled a bit thin.

Some actual measurements are perhaps in order, for comparison?

Pretty much yeah, shouldn't drink and post.

The first pic looks odd but his second ones clear it up.

Ya I hear ya. Just piece of mind I guess.

Just me, but... If it doesn't affect accuracy, it doesn't fall out and it has to be physically moved, why bother?

Its a AK, loose tolerances abound.

:2c:

Edited by hutchsaiga