Offset Secondary Sight

I've been throwing the idea around of having a secondary iron sight on my rifle for up close shots/plinking. For my main sight I'm just going to be using a 3-12x rifle scope I already have and mount it on a picatinny . I was just curious if anyone has done this to their rifle or recommendations? If anyone is confused about what I'm talking about, here's a pic of what I'm thinking N4sideironssetup.jpg

I would use the same setup that's on that rifle but I haven't been able to find a front site with a top picatinny

Getting the two sights on a reletive plane will be a pain unless the offcenter rails are built on the same spec. and the rails are both held at absolute level. Sighting it will also be a pain in as much as it will take some tweaking to get it there in very small increments. I'd use a boresight to rough it in a pinch. However, while your elevation adjustment and windage would be useless without either being very very very familiar with both the sight adjustment and the gun and probably still useless under combat conditions; if you sighted it in at 100 yards or maybe back it down to 75 you would have a sight that coul handle everything from 0 up to probably 125 with a fair amount of accuracy. As long as you didn't have to adjust you would be fine. That said, I do see another thing. I am right handed and I don't know that I could use that sight the way it is. A lefty probably could but there owul be no cheek weld to speak of. If you had the option to cant the sights to the other side then that would solve that problem. I would be tempted to try this just to see if I could make it feasible. On the other hand, if you only planned to use your scope you could mount them in line and use them only as emergency sights. I'd say some of the others may have more useful input but from where I'm sitting, thats what I see. Good luck!

As msgw357 said, without a fairly consistent mounting system, it would be hard to get the right alignment with front and rear sights. AR-15 sights are also pretty high for being on top of an AK. A micro red dot might also do the trick on an offset mount. I was thinking of doing this on my .223 Saiga' DPH Beryl rail.

Having messed with an AR with offset BUIS, I like the offset better than a scope raised/offset to clear your factory iron sights. If your offset BUIS are set up correctly, you don't actually change your cheek weld to use them, you just twist the gun 30-45 degrees and call pull the trigger.

My PSL has a high scope-mount, and if I have a good cheekweld for the scope, it's completely screwed for using irons (and vice versa).