Trigger wont reset

So I've been reading this forum for a bit (lots of good info here) and now I need some help with my Saiga 223. I searched for a topic on this and couldn't find what I was looking for, sorry if this has been posted before.

I bought it new and haven't converted it yet, although I plan to when the next paycheck arrives. The first 100 rounds (Federal 55gr FMJ) I put through it went flawlessly, not a single jam. The next trip to the range I put another ~200 rounds through it (some Remington 55gr FMJ and some Wolf), this time I had some problems with the trigger not resetting. Nothing consistent, sometimes I could get through a 30 rd mag (Surefire mags) without a problem, other times it would happen 2 or 3 times in a 30rd mag. The failures were happening more frequently towards the end of this trip to the range. I thought maybe my gun just didn't like the ammo or perhaps it just needed to be cleaned since I hadn't cleaned it after I bought it. I didn't really think this was a problem given the AK's reputation for being indestructible and eating any kind of ammo you have, but I took it home and gave it a thorough cleaning anyways. My roommate also had a Tapco collapsible stock/pistol grip that you can attach without moving the FCG, so I put that on there as it feels better than the factory sporting stock.

I took it to the range tonight and tried it out with more Federal ammo, now the trigger fails to reset after each shot. The next round gets chambered, but the trigger feels loose and squeezing it does nothing. What's odd is if I pull the charging handle back about an inch (not enough to eject the round in the chamber) and let it fly, the trigger resets and I can fire. It seems to have gotten worse after attaching the stock/pistol grip but I can't imagine how that would affect anything with how the gun cycles, it might just be coincidence.

Anyone know whats going on with this thing? I'd really like to get this figured out before I convert the gun. I also go to the range with a couple of AR owners who have pointed out that their ARs are more reliable than my AK, and that just seems wrong to me on many levels.

What tritium said, and also this; If you're going to convert anyway then why worry to much about the stock trigger? It'll be gone and odds are the problem will go with it.

BTW, I believe it's a felony to use a hi-cap magazine in a stock Saiga. Best convert it/add compliance parts before you do that again.

I've been able to reproduce the problem at home with the gun apart. It looks like (I think these are the right terms, I'm a newb though) the hammer is getting stuck on the disconnector sometimes. If I hold the trigger down and force the hammer down so that it locks and then let off the trigger, sometimes the hammer gets stuck under the disconnector by just a little bit. Any real impact to it at this point usually jostles it free and the trigger resets, pulling the charging handle back nudges it just enough for it to pop free. It only happens maybe 1/10 times when I'm doing this by hand, not sure why it happens every time when I actually fire it.

It seems like if I filed down the top lip of the hammer just a tiny bit it might fix this but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

EDIT: As for 922r, I forgot to mention that I have a SGM tactical forearm on it. I think that + the US made mags + the US stock & pistol grip should have me in compliance.

Edited by raider929

I've been able to reproduce the problem at home with the gun apart. It looks like (I think these are the right terms, I'm a newb though) the hammer is getting stuck on the disconnector sometimes. If I hold the trigger down and force the hammer down so that it locks and then let off the trigger, sometimes the hammer gets stuck under the disconnector by just a little bit. Any real impact to it at this point usually jostles it free and the trigger resets, pulling the charging handle back nudges it just enough for it to pop free. It only happens maybe 1/10 times when I'm doing this by hand, not sure why it happens every time when I actually fire it.

It seems like if I filed down the top lip of the hammer just a tiny bit it might fix this but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

EDIT: As for 922r, I forgot to mention that I have a SGM tactical forearm on it. I think that + the US made mags + the US stock & pistol grip should have me in compliance.

Try lubing it up really well first if you haven't already done so. It is possible parts could be out of spec as it certainly wouldn't be the first time. If you do decide to file, go very slowly.

That should get you into compliance. Always better safe than sorry with these regulations.

• 6 months later...

I'm having this same issue. I am going to try lithium grease. I have found that at the range if this happens I can reset the trigger quickly by pulling it back then letting it snap forward. It's worked every time so far. I also notice that if I am not holding the trigger back when I cycle the rifle this reset problem does not occur. I am also going to try using a buffing compound to polish the disconnector and hammer to try to polish the contacting surfaces. I'll let ya'll know if that helps.