Adding a '74 Muzzle Brake

Hello everyone. I got my first Saiga about a month ago and have already converted it. The last big thing I want to do to it is add a '74 muzzle brake/new FSB to it. When I first got the rifle I did not know how labor intensive it would be to remove the FSB and install a new one. I really dont have the tools, or really the know how to do it (yes I have read online toutorials, I am just not comfortable). I watched a Youtube video of a guy who simply drilled into the dimples a ways and then was able to smack the FSB off with a mallet, but everywhere else I have read says you need a press, which I do not have, nor do I have access to.

I was thinking about just using a pipe cutter and cutting the sleeve off and then threading the barrel (if I need to) and installing one, but I would really rather just go all the way and get the new FSB along with brake.

My question is is the brake really worth all the effort? I know it helps with recoil, but I think the recoil is soft enough already. The only other reason I would do it is because I love the look of it. Any insight would be great, or if anyone knows of a place in the Southern California area that might be able to do it, that would be great to.

From what I've seen you really do not need a press for the FSB. Quite a few people have made a horizontal cut with a dremel downthe fsb. Broken in two prices with a chisel and pounded on a new one without use of a press. That's what I plan to do. Although I do have access to a press if need be. I also hear that the '74 brake is very functional at reducing muzzle flip and flash. The recoil isn't bad with the 7.62 but follow up shots would e much easier for me with less muzzle flip. I just need to find a place to get a cheap '74 FSB because I am certainly not paying 90 bucks for one from Danzig, but I can't seem to find any surplus bulgy ones.

Edited by hutchsaiga

The brake is there to control muzzle flip. The end of an AK barrel has a tendency to rise up and over to the right when the rifle is fired. A muzzle brake will help compensate for this movement. It becomes a big factor with follow up shots.

In my opinion it is possibly the best thing you can do for an AK.

The '74-type brake enables your rifle to do shit like this:

muzzleflashlvl31.jpg

biggrin.png

More importantly; the '74-type greatly reduces muzzle rise, (and felt recoil, not that there's much to begin with), and the faster you fire, the more noticable the effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBMm4tsPi18

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I didn't even think about cutting horizontally down the FSB and breaking it off that way. My biggest worry with that would be accidently cutting into te barrel. Seems like it would be the easiest way to do it though. What would you pound one back on with? I'm guessing a rubber mallet??

Apocalyptic, nice pic.

Hello everyone. I got my first Saiga about a month ago and have already converted it. The last big thing I want to do to it is add a '74 muzzle brake/new FSB to it. When I first got the rifle I did not know how labor intensive it would be to remove the FSB and install a new one. I really dont have the tools, or really the know how to do it (yes I have read online toutorials, I am just not comfortable). I watched a Youtube video of a guy who simply drilled into the dimples a ways and then was able to smack the FSB off with a mallet, but everywhere else I have read says you need a press, which I do not have, nor do I have access to.

I was thinking about just using a pipe cutter and cutting the sleeve off and then threading the barrel (if I need to) and installing one, but I would really rather just go all the way and get the new FSB along with brake.

My question is is the brake really worth all the effort? I know it helps with recoil, but I think the recoil is soft enough already. The only other reason I would do it is because I love the look of it. Any insight would be great, or if anyone knows of a place in the Southern California area that might be able to do it, that would be great to.

Yes it is worth it.....

Edited by THE AK DUDE

ok i just did this last month,, if u dont want to pay 40 bucks for the one inch of muzzle threads on ur brake which the only one i could find was dinzags and took 3 weeks.. u will only want to cut back so far when takeing the shroud off. look it up on here and u will find it, i cut mine all the way back and threaded it myself which turned out beautiful but i had the get the brake with one inch of threads... and also when ur cutting ur shroud off just take a dremel and cutoff wheel and go long ways as far back as u want to go and a pipe cutter to cut the other way,, u will just have to gauge the depth off the end of ur barrel./.. believe me its not hard to do... just go a little at a time when u think ur close. and take it to ur vise and take a cold chisel and knock that sucker off. its really gooing to take some force.. no baby hits.. believe me it will take some solid hits but u wont hurt anything at all... and continue with the threading.. i cant tell u where to get ur die at but dont go to wholesaletools bc there 6 months back up.. any questions just pm me bud..