Feed issues with different mags...

Found something interesting tonite while checking some different surplus mags in the 5.45 rifles. I tried a black poly Bulgy double circle ten 30 rd mag, and it would feed all 30 rds no problem, without a feed ramp.

Then tried one of my Izhmash bakelite 30 rdrs and it feeds low every time. Same thing happened with both the round and the flat trunnion rifles. Whether just one round or 30, didn't make any difference.

Weird....

I have a bullet guide for each one, but I think they are made for the x39 instead of the 5.45. With both of them installed (or just sitting in place) the shells go right over the top and still hit below the chamber face, using the bakelite mag.

31 views and no comments....

Does anyone happen to have a way to measure the thickness of the correct bullet guides for the 5.45? Be nice to get round and flat trunnion thicknesses, but at least the round would be good for now.

TIA

I bought a bullet guide from CSS and haven't installed it yet. they said on their website that it was for the 5.45.

it is the round trunnion version at the ramp i measure .106 inch with an over all thickness of .168 at it's thickest point.

I have a trunnion from a Bulgarian AK74 that still has the bullet guide installed. I think it is a flat model and measures .131 at the ramp and .199 ish overall. maybe .2 inch. it's kinda hard to tell without taking it apart.

• Like 1

have you checked the amount of clearance the bullets achieve with the bulgy 10? is it sufficient or is it barely making it while rubbing on the way in? How well used is the bakelite? maybe the front lip is worn down too.

I bought a bullet guide from CSS and haven't installed it yet. they said on their website that it was for the 5.45.

it is the round trunnion version at the ramp i measure .106 inch with an over all thickness of .168 at it's thickest point.

I have a trunnion from a Bulgarian AK74 that still has the bullet guide installed. I think it is a flat model and measures .131 at the ramp and .199 ish overall. maybe .2 inch. it's kinda hard to tell without taking it apart.

Thank you for that info. Will check against the BG I have here. Ran a few mags through today with no BG and no hickups.

Wow the one I have must be the wrong one then. It's only .89" at it's thickest point.

The BG I have in my old 5.45 I bought a few years ago (flat trunnion), is wedge or ramp shaped in the front, not flat like the pics I have seen online.