First Sagia!

Woot i just got my first Saiga. I chose 308 with 22 inch barrel. This has got to be one of the lightest 308 rifles i have ever held. I have yet to shoot it but i am sure it will have no issues as its a Saiga smile.png.

A few quick questions. Does it have to be restored to be able to accept hi cap magazines? if yes then whats the highest cap it can use without being restored?

I really want a PSOP scope for it but am really new to PSOP i usually just have my gun smith drill the top and add a mount and use it normal optic style. Should i use one of the clamps or mounts for the side of the Saiga and use it that way is there any benefit or disadvantage to that? or should i just got tried and true rail on top?

thanks guys.

Attached is a pic of my new Saiga 308 smile.png

JP

post-36982-0-00673800-1318376420_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jp1985

High cap can go on the 308 without modification, your state laws may dictate otherwise.

CSspec sells a good 20 round steel mag.

I assume yours has a side rail on the other side from the picture, if not one may be added.

Use the POSP it comes with a good side mount. The POSP is high enough on standard models to use the irons also without removing the scope. Some like low profile some standard its just a choice. I prefer fixed magnification scopes, much less to go wrong on them. Think the 6x is still around. The POSP you can get anytime it doesnt require any permanent changes except having a side rail.

Best rule don't touch anything permanent until you read through these threads and get a good idea of what is and what is not wise. By all means shoot a few dozen rounds through the rifle before even thinking of modifying it to make sure its ok.

Ask questions as you wish.

Have fun.

Edited by Rhodes1968

as far as PSOP what do you guys recommend? I was looking on net and found a 8x42 svd scope i will link should i get it or should i go for something else? and how far out would this scope be good to and is there better than 8x42?

thanks again for the help guys.

JP

http://www.ebay.com/...95314%26ps%3D54

Edited by Jp1985

You want the AK version not the SVD if you have the standard AK side rail.

Take a look here for POSP offerings: kalinkaop.com

Good rep in the community.

The higher the magnification the more difficult to use at close range, reduced field of view, and also the image will be very slightly dimmer. I like 6x or even 4x magnification but that's just opinion and personal preference.

Remember this is not a hunting rifle for the humane killing of prey animals but a Main Battle Rifle intended for combat. High magnification is less important than field of view.

Take a look at this one:

kalinkaop...-version-2.html

Some of these scopes will have a BDC suitable for use with the 308(see below), most you have to figure out the compensation a bit. Read the reviews if any are included.

http://www.kalinkaop...ak-version.html

Hope this helps.

Edited by Rhodes1968

instead of paying a gunny to drill and tap buy a beryl style rail to mount your scope im happy with mine i have the SGM one its like forty bucks replaces rear sight breeze to install TWs also make a way better one one day i will be able to afford. but so far the polymer SGM has held up nice to plenty of abuse

Surefire/SGM makes a polymer 25 rounder, I think Promag may have a 25 rounder for it as well. Unita Industries makes a polymer 20 rounder that resembles the Saiga factory 8 rounders. CSSpecs makes a 20 round steel mag for them.

Edited by TJohn

Nice rifle! I'm getting a S-308 as my next Saiga as well!

I think I'll stick with the steel '20's from CSSpecs, mixed with a few SGM 25's. Rhodes1968 is correct- that 25 round mag is bound to be really heavy!

Post a picture if/when you convert restore to factory specs!

Welcome to the addiction that is Saiga.

You can use 10 round magazines in a stock saiga.

If you swap one more counted part you can legally use larger size magazines.

http://stores.csspec...10rd/Detail.bok

Just to mention. I'm out of 20 round and 15 round saiga .308 mags. We do have 10s and 5s.

Carolina shooters supply has the last of our stock of 20s.

http://store.carolin...08-Steel/Detail

We are redesigning, to incorporate the new equipment. And to use more laser cut parts. Should have new models out in about 4+ weeks or so.