Mounting a FastFire type sight

I've been thinking about mounting a small red dot,something like the Burris fastfire. I saw a pic of one mounted at the rear sight position. Is there a small rail w/a dove tail that replace's the rear sight? Anybody have experience w/ this type of mount? Where would i find such an animal? Thanks for the help. This site is a wealth of information.

post-20934-0-80913300-1318684416_thumb.jpg

To me the best place for a Fast Fire is in place of the rear sight block. You can get the real AK one from Dinzag which also lets you put real foregrips on there, but then take off the leaf sight and bolt the Fast Fire on there.

Or even better would be if JMAC produces this product:

upperhandguardandlowerretainerwithr.jpg

Edited by Wolverine
Non-vendor link

To me the best place for a Fast Fire is in place of the rear sight block. You can get the real AK one from Dinzag which also lets you put real foregrips on there, but then take off the leaf sight and bolt the Fast Fire on there.

I NEED to know how exactly this is installed. Is this a DIY or would I have to ship my gun somewhere? I'm planning my conversion, and something this low profile is exactly what I want. I'm guessing a BUIS can be installed too...right? I went to the JMAC website and there was no mention as to how this genius product works...or maybe I'm just an ak-platform noob.

Edited by Wolverine
Non-vendor link

I NEED to know how exactly this is installed. Is this a DIY or would I have to ship my gun somewhere? I'm planning my conversion, and something this low profile is exactly what I want. I'm guessing a BUIS can be installed too...right? I went to the JMAC website and there was no mention as to how this genius product works...or maybe I'm just an ak-platform noob.

I know, it's totally awesome. But it is just a prototype and I'm not sure if he is going to go ahead with it. Maybe send him a message

Edited by Wolverine
Non-vendor link
  • 2 months later...

It depends on where you like the eye relief. There are lots of choices

If you like it forward, R and R has a mount that fits in the dovetail. I had one, but It's too far forward for my taste.

If you like it very close to your eye, Arrondondo makes one that is part of and AR style stock adapter. It's way to close for me.

If you like it in the middle over the top of the dust cover, you can buy a scope mount that attaches to the bracket on the side of the receiver. The scope mount has a picatinny rail. I did this and liked the optic location, but the mount was bulky.

JT Engineering makes one that attaches to the receiver. You do have to disasemble the mount to remove the dust cover. It looks clean and Jack says it returns to zero.

I finally made my own which has the right eye relief for me and allows me to remove the cover without disassembly.

For red dot, I orefer C more STS with 8 MOA dot. Bright, highly visible dot and can replace the battery wihout rezero.

post-31037-0-38485600-1324442827_thumb.jpg