Ace Stock question

I am completely overwhelmed at the stock choices for my 308 conversion. Kind of looking at the ACE stock however. It appears that it comes in three lengths. 7.5, 8.5 & 9.5". Does anyone know what the LOP is with each of these with a receiver block?

Am also open for other stock suggestions though I am not spending more for the stock than I did for the gun which I bought in 02 when it was well under $300.

Just get the longest stock you can find. This way you can cut the length to fit you instead of having to use what they make. One bar is plastic and the other bar is aluminum. Super easy to remove the stock from the hinge block, each tube has a roll pin you push out with a punch. Take a hacksaw and cut the stock to your LOP, redrill two new holes for the rollpins and reattach to the block.

Both guns below had the same stock length to begin with. The top pic shows no modification and the bottom shows where I cut off some length (distance from hinge to the small vertical bar between the two tubes) for my LOP.

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

I just cant get over how much stocks go for I just cant see spending almost as much as I did on the entire rifle just for a folding stock. On my first 308 I ran A TAPCO folder with zero problems total price $35. I beat the hell out of that gun when I went hog hunting the only thing I manged to break was the scope

The ace skeleton stocks are ridiculously priced for what they are.

I have one on my saiga 12, I didn't do a folding set up because I don't have a use for it with a 22" barrel.

They're strong and all, I don't think they'd break, but they're uncomfortable and a tad flimsy due to the fact the 2 tubes can shift around a tiny bit. The recoil pad helped an unbelievable amount on my saiga 12, it feels like I'm shooting a 22... except for the main downfall of this stock. You'll get a bloody cheek bone in no time at all.

I'd just go for the kvar stock, either nato or warsaw depending on your preference. They're top notch, and the only beef I have with them is being a tad bit thin so the recoil is magnified into your shoulder, making a hard kicking rifle a little more painful that it would normally be.

If you have to have a skeleton, MAA and DPH make them a little more reasonably priced, IMO.

I use a MAA billet stock, I didn't know the ACE had a plastic tube- I feel BETTER about my choice now!

I think Red Jacket is making a strong looking one as well, but I think it's ugly, and more than I'd like to spend.

That TAPCO folder is no deal- Plastic isn't reliable enough for me.

Personally, I did the folder route for a few outings... I didn't like it enough to keep it on the rifle. Come to think of it, I have an lightly used ACE folding mechanism that may be for sale here... Hmmm.

The plastic on the Ace stock is solid delrin over a half inch thick. I'm more concerned about the strength of the various joints than the strength of the plastic. It is difficult to paint, however.

Unless one is dead-set on getting an Ace stock, I'd recommend a DPH. I own both, but the only reason I got the Ace stock was for aesthetic reasons (and to save on shipping).

I dont see why so many sell the Tapco stock short, is it plastic yes but so are most hand guns today by that logic glocks are crap and break all the time. They now have metal pins in them which is why they were breaking several years ago. My Tapco took a real beaten bouncing around in the truck fell off the 4wheeler a few times I treated the gun like an AK was meant to be treated. Bottom line dont sell tapco short for $35 give it a try you might be surprised at how strong they are. my only problem with it was the weight i found it to be a tad too light and the rifle felt unbalanced.

Just for clarification - I called the top skeleton bar "plastic" but the real material is a polymer Delrin.

Delrin is still plastic. It's actually weaker than 30% glass reinforced nylon in many important ways. Still, DuPont says their Delrin has a yield strength of 10,000 psi. A half-inch section of Delrin would, I believe, sustain a load of about 2000 pounds before deforming.

True, but if you I mention "plastic" then thoughts of fragile plastic pens and plastic model airplanes might come to mind. "Delrin" gives a better idea of its strength as compared to simply saying "plastic", especially for someone that has not had the opportunity to examine a ACE stock in person. I was not trying to get into the molecular composition of the material, just a better description for the readers.

Well, I had a Tapco folder on my SAR1 AK. It broke and fell apart on my third trip to the range. No more Tapco folders for me.

I did buy the Ace modular stock w/o the folder. It looks, sounds, and feels like it is all metal except for the buttpad. So I am not sure what I have but it is metal not plastic.