SGM Magazine Issue

Hey everybody! Weird problem here. I took out my brand new SGM 10 round magazine today for some target practice and to see how it functioned. I'm having a strange issue with it: when the mag is fully loaded, it won't lock into the rifle! Looking at the action with the bolt open reveals that the bolt is actually contacting the top of the first round, and if I work the action, the bolt will actually scratch the surface of every round.

It looks like the bolt is trying to push the first round down farther into the mag, but since it's already fully loaded, the round can't go anywhere, so the mag won't seat properly. Anybody else ever had this issue? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Jericho_223

The bolt will contact the top round in any semi-auto gun, but it has to push down far enough upon cycling for the bolt to clear. You can trim about 1/8" to 1/4" off the bottom of the follower to allow this to happen. Perhaps even a little more may be necessary. When mine are fully loaded it I can push them in almost enough to put in an eleventh round.

The bolt will contact the top round in any semi-auto gun, but it has to push down far enough upon cycling for the bolt to clear.

I'm a little new to all of this, so I'm going to ask what might be a stupid question: Is the bolt supposed to gouge the surface of the rounds as it cycles? Because it seems to do this on every round, not just the first. Also, this is only true of the SGM mag, the factory mag works flawlessly as far as I know. It's entirely possible that the cases get gouged with the factory mag too, but that I'm just not noticing. I can only get the SGM mag to lock in if it has fewer than 10 rounds in it.

Edited by Jericho_223

Sounds like the mag might sit a little higher or has a very stiff spring. It probably won't hamper the operation of the gun, but if you are picky about your brass you may wish to pick & choose which mags you run with. Now, if the bottom lug of the bolt is actually digging into the casings, then I would be worried. Surface scratches, not so much.

Do you count rounds when loading, or do you put 'em in till it can't take no more? On all my SMG mags, I can load 1 or 2 more than the max capacity. I could see how this might make them harder to lock into place. Especially since the new mags are very difficult to lock in anyway. After a couple range trips the mags lock in much easier. I would wait a little bit before modifying the mags.

I still think they will loosen up for you.

Mine were extremely hard to lock into place at first. On one of my twenty rounders and thirty rounder, I could barely get them in at all...even with straining. If I gripped the mag by the base plate like a pistol mag(palm against the base plate) and pushed up forcefully, it was easier. After some work like this and a couple range trips, all is well.

OR maybe this is a sign that you should install a bullet guide and switch to Galil mags.