.223 magazines final analysis

I noticed something last night about the Circle 10 mags. A ordered a batch of them but didn't take them all from the pkgs. The catch on the rear of just one of them was clearly not identical to the others. So not only do the rifles vary - the mags do too. If you have several you intend to fit look at all of them closely before doing anything. What needs to be done to one may not apply to them all.

this is why i modded the rifle to the majority of the mags. i then modded the remaining mags to fit the rifle.

Edited by GregM1

Grinding away the sporter plate didn't scare me a bit. I was a little spooked about grinding on the receiver so I'm glad I didn't have to. Call me chicken but I'd rather throw away a messed up mag as opposed to throwing away a messed up receiver. [1]

Got another one on the way @ $299.99. I'm probably going in a little deeper this time. Gonna cut off the tang and weld on a plate. Maybe get a folder - not sure yet. That will be a little nerve-racking.

[1] I have a tendency to do things the hard way...but I'm happy with the results on my first conversion. Ran like a champ at the range again yesterday. smile.png

Grinding away the sporter plate didn't scare me a bit. I was a little spooked about grinding on the receiver so I'm glad I didn't have to. Call me chicken but I'd rather throw away a messed up mag as opposed to throwing away a messed up receiver. [1]

Got another one on the way @ $299.99. I'm probably going in a little deeper this time. Gonna cut off the tang and weld on a plate. Maybe get a folder - not sure yet. That will be a little nerve-racking.

DO IT!!!! post-20073-0-74912400-1321109250.jpg

Do THIS too!!!! post-20073-0-95897500-1321109317_thumb.jpg

Edited by bohound

Half the fun is planning out the build. I'm looking at this hand guard.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/aluminum-ak47-ak74-quad-rail-by-midwest-industries-p-2677.html

I bought an ak gas tube from Dinzag a while back erroneously. Need to figure out which retainers I need to get. I've got the SGM quadrail on the first one but there is a tiny bit of up/down wobble. The SGM techs explained that by bending the pin on the rear of the gas tube I can take out the wobble. I don't have an optic on the SGM so I'm ok with it. It does get a little warm after a few mags. Decisions, decisions...

• 2 weeks later...

DO IT!!!! post-20073-0-74912400-1321109250.jpg

Could you show a pic of the mag release on the adapter please? Using the adapter precludes using a mag hold, correct?

Only if the person behind the trigger can't get a good hold. I still use a mag hold mostly, unless I need my light.

Here is the pic:

post-20073-0-15573800-1322262837_thumb.jpg

The linkage from the right side release:

post-20073-0-26288200-1322262860_thumb.jpg

Note: You are seeing mechanic wire to "safety wire" the roll pins. Totally unneccesary, my husband did it. He's weird.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the metal Galil mags, I just got a couple from CDNN and they were supposed to be the cheaper used ones the have. When I got them they looked almost new, they came in plastic bags with stickers saying they were aresenal reconditioned. They fit tight and the springs were gtg. They looked a hell of alot nicer than the ones I had gotten from midway a while back.

I wonder if there is some internal difference in slab-sided Saiga .223s versus dimpled models. A lot of older (slab-sided) Saiga .223 owners seemed to have trouble with these mags. My dimpled Saiga .223 absolutely loves them, and neither rifle nor mag needed modification.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd check with K-var to see if the clear .223 mags have the full steel reinforcement-treatment. If not, I'd go with Weigers.

Actually, I'd go with black Circle-10 .223 magazines, which do have the reinforcements, but that wasn't one of the listed options!

I'd check with K-var to see if the clear .223 mags have the full steel reinforcement-treatment. If not, I'd go with Weigers.

Actually, I'd go with black Circle-10 .223 magazines, which do have the reinforcements, but that wasn't one of the listed options!

Sadly, K-var is out of stock on any of the black Circle-10 magazines. Clear is all there is right now.